From: spike1 on
Adam <hideki.adam(a)gmail.com> did eloquently scribble:
> I don't think their choice of connectors for the joysticks and tapes
> exactly helped either, why on earth they went from standard connectors
> on the C64 etc. to horrible PS/2 type connectors (not sure what they're
> actually called) on the C16 and +4 is beyond me

Probably the same reason the amstrad +2 screwed with the wiring on the
joystick ports, broke the standard and sold their own +2 joysticks and
joystick adaptors...

Fast buck.
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2006-11-27, spike1(a)freenet.co.uk <spike1(a)freenet.co.uk> wrote:

> Probably the same reason the amstrad +2 screwed with the wiring on the
> joystick ports, broke the standard and sold their own +2 joysticks and
> joystick adaptors...

In their case, fast buck for sure, but smaller plugs used repeatedly
can shave a few pence off tooling and purchasing prices, as with the
sinclair/amstrad using telephone-style connectors for just about
everything in later machines.

From: Sam Gillett on

"Adam" wrote ...

> I don't think their choice of connectors for the joysticks and tapes
> exactly helped either, why on earth they went from standard connectors
> on the C64 etc. to horrible PS/2 type connectors (not sure what they're
> actually called) on the C16 and +4 is beyond me

As someone else said, probably to save a few pennies per machine. The
smaller connectors probably cost less. I think it worth noting that on the
C128 Commodore went back to the same style joystick connector used on the C64
(also same as Atari joystick connectors.)
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

From: Leif Bloomquist on

What if I painted my C64 hot pink with a Hello Kitty theme, including custom
Hello Kitty ROM with pink/white startup colours? Would that tip the scale
in the C64's favour?

--
Leif Bloomquist
leif(at)schemafactor(dot)com

"Once secure, saturate the area with plasma mortars and spicy barbecue
sauce."

From: spike1 on
Leif Bloomquist <spam(a)127.0.0.600> did eloquently scribble:

> What if I painted my C64 hot pink with a Hello Kitty theme, including custom
> Hello Kitty ROM with pink/white startup colours? Would that tip the scale
> in the C64's favour?

I think it'd probably cause anyone who saw to copiously vomit, personally.
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |