From: Simon on
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:29:56 +0000, Duncan Snowden wrote:

> DanSolo wrote:

>> I'll see your Starstrike II and raise a Space Rogue. Filled polygons.
>> Fast. Colours. And it's an RPG too.
>> http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=7098&h=0
>
> Fair enough. Still at least 2 years late, though. :-)

So now the c64's longevity counts *against* it? Now Ive heard everything
:D

From: Simon on
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 07:22:39 -0800, DanSolo wrote:

> Are you just testing if you are out of your league or are you actually
> making a real attempt at this?

We stopped responding to Daniel a long time ago Dan..... he seriously
hurts the Speccy case.

From: spike1 on
Simon <sscott(a)westnet.nospam.com.au> did eloquently scribble:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:29:56 +0000, Duncan Snowden wrote:

>> DanSolo wrote:

>>> I'll see your Starstrike II and raise a Space Rogue. Filled polygons.
>>> Fast. Colours. And it's an RPG too.
>>> http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=7098&h=0
>>
>> Fair enough. Still at least 2 years late, though. :-)

> So now the c64's longevity counts *against* it? Now Ive heard everything
> :D

Longevity? by one year?
Spectrum production: 1982-1992
C64 production: 1982-1993
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |
From: Simon on
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:08:28 +0000, spike1 wrote:

> DanSolo <daniel.otoole(a)ucd.ie> did eloquently scribble:
>>> There are also some colors left in Hires ;-)
>> In "normal" mode each C64 character has the background colour and a one
>> of 15 others. That's not monochrome.
>
> No, it's attribute and colour clash, just like the spectrum. Something the
> commodore crowd tend to feel more comfortable ignoring.

Except we get sprites too :) And also, I believe, each 8x8 block can have
independent background/foreground colours.

Also, using various AFLI-ish modes can improve the situation

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/viewpic.php?id=30096&zoom=1

oooh! square pixels! :)

Also, the 'chunky' mode can be used cleverly too

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=40476
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=41421

Please show me speccy art that eclipses these. I seriously want to see it.

>> Are you just testing if you are out of your league or are you actually
>> making a real attempt at this?
>
> It's just mandic, his posts always miss their mark, probably because he's
> not exactly what we would call... very good at english.

The guy is an idiot, call a spade a spade :)

This debate goes around and around forever. The c64 is obviously superior
in graphics/audio. The spectrum had faster drives and could draw 3D faster.

At the end of the day, the c64 sold more despite being more expensive.
People voted with their wallets.

From: Simon on
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:48:57 +0000, spike1 wrote:

> Duncan Snowden <dss(a)ukonline.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Then you could PRINT VT$(y)TAB(x)"your message" anywhere and get the
>>> same effect as your PRINT AT command.
>
>> Aye, never let it be said Commodore BASIC was complicated.
>
> Well they had to do print at somehow, and using cursor control characters
> was their only way of doing it... poor things.

I know what you mean, but quite seriously, at the time it seemed quite
easy and intuitive. That is, for the 5 minutes I actually coded BASIC
before progressing to MC.