From: Ian Rawlings on
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.sinclair.]
On 2006-11-23, Duncan Snowden <dss(a)ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> It was pretty awful. Still screenshots look quite good - something like
> a cross between the BBC original and the Speccy version, but "flickery"
> doesn't even begin to describe it. You can see the vector lines being
> drawn. Quickly, but you can.

I'd also heard that Knight Lore didn't turn out very well, although I
can't see why not. I've got the BBC version but don't seem to have
one for the 64, was it even ever released?

From: Lister on
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:24:36 GMT, spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:

>Sam Gillett <samgillettnospam(a)diespammermsn.com> did eloquently scribble:
>
>> <spike1(a)freenet.co.uk> wrote ...
>>>
>>> Indeed. More like comparing mice to elephants.
>
>> Run, before a Commodore user steps on you!!
>
>> BTW, Happy Thanksgiving. :-)
>
>We don't do that silly thanksgiving stuff over here.

He's a Merkin, Spike, you expect him to believe there are countries
other than America? :)

--
We're climbing up the sunshine mountains
Where the pretty brezes blow
From: Daniel Mandic on
DanSolo wrote:

> Rectum, Speculum, etc. etc.

Speculum to the higher universe.... Spectrum! Less is more.

> > There are also some colors left in Hires ;-)
> In "normal" mode each C64 character has the background colour and a
> one of 15 others. That's not monochrome.

O.k. but it can hardly do anything useful (slow).

> OK then, here's a challenge for you to chicken out of. Name a Spectrum
> game that the C64 wasn't technically able to replicate. Or a C64 game
> ported to the Spectrum that ended up with better graphics.

Technically, technically..... I mean the deeper ambiguity going with
many Speccy Titles.

Everyone knows the full (PAL+) move smooth graphic of the Commode or
the Atari for example. But small shapes, call them sprite, are better
animated, due to the higher res... well?

> Are you just testing if you are out of your league or are you actually
> making a real attempt at this?

No, but that rude attempts to insult the Speccy friends....

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

From: Daniel Mandic on
DanSolo wrote:

> > Including CPU intensive 3d vector graphics?
> >
> > MikeW
>
> Starglider, Elite, Mercenary. And if you want to rub it in for
> yourself, compare C64 and Spectrum screenshots of Driller.

hmmm, I am bit confused... you mean the Speccy version of Elite is
better, I think. Not to mention the 28Mhz or 14MHz version... I wonder
how the C64 version would work overclocked??

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
From: Daniel Mandic on
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:

> >> Including CPU intensive 3d vector graphics?
> > >
> >> MikeW
>
> > Starglider, Elite, Mercenary. And if you want to rub it in for
> > yourself, compare C64 and Spectrum screenshots of Driller.
>
> Wasn't mercenary on the c64 vastly inferior and more.. 2Dish than the
> speccy's 3D?
>
> And screenshots are useless when comparing things like driller, dark
> side, etc. The only thing that matters there is frame rate, which was
> slow enough on the spectrum. Dread to think how slow it was on the 64.

Hi Spike!

A relevant Computer-Magazine of that time, called the C64 version of
Elite the 'Sleeping Pill' :-). Might be 'Happy Computer'...

Best regards,

Daniel Mandic