From: Sam Gillett on

"Ville Muikkula" wrote ...

> Nathaniel Shurtleff, ed. Records of the Governor and Company of the
> Massachusetts Bay in New England, Vol I. Boston, 1853. p.204:
> "The 12th of the 8th m. was ordered to bee kept a day of publicke
> thanksgiving to God for his great m'cies in subdewing the Pecoits,
> bringing the soldiers in safety, the successe of the conference, & good
> news from Germany."

Seems to be a completely different day of thanksgiving than the one that was
the origin of the holiday that we call Thanksgiving Day now. There was
nothing to keep one colony from celebrating different days of thanksgiving
than those celebrated by other colonies. There was also nothing to prevent
different colonies from celebrating their day, or days, of thanksgiving for
entirely different reasons.

The festivals of various ancient civilizations shared certain themes --
fertility, death, resurrection, harvest, and thanksgiving -- that are
recognized in modern holidays around the world. In the United States today,
each state proclaims its own holidays, but the U.S. government establishes
legal holidays for the District of Columbia and for all federal employees
nationally, and by tradition, the states also observe these holidays.

Note that the day of thanksgiving you referenced was celebrated on the 12th
day of August. The one we celebrate now as a national holiday is on the 4th
Thursday of November, a little over a three month difference.

Our modern holiday of Thanksgiving is an annual holiday celebrated in the
United States on the fourth Thursday in November. It originated in three
days of prayer and feasting by the Pilgrims of the Plymouth Colony in 1621,
although an earlier thanksgiving was offered in prayer alone by members of
the Berkeley plantation near present-day Charles City, Va., on Dec. 4, 1619.
The first national Thanksgiving Day, proclaimed by President George
Washington, was celebrated on Nov. 26, 1789. In 1863, President Abraham
Lincoln made it an annual holiday to be commemorated on the last Thursday in
November. For three years (1939-41), under President Franklin D. Roosevelt,
the day was celebrated one week earlier, but thereafter, by act of Congress,
it is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November.
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

From: Simon on
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 01:03:38 +0000, spike1 wrote:

> Simon <sscott(a)westnet.nospam.com.au> did eloquently scribble:

>>> Fair enough. Still at least 2 years late, though. :-)
>
>> So now the c64's longevity counts *against* it? Now Ive heard everything
>> :D
>
> Longevity? by one year?
> Spectrum production: 1982-1992
> C64 production: 1982-1993

When did I say it lasted longer than the Speccy?

You guys are seriously paranoid.

From: Sam Gillett on

<spike1(a)freenet.co.uk> wrote ...
> Simon <sscott(a)westnet.nospam.com.au> did eloquently scribble:
>
>> So now the c64's longevity counts *against* it? Now Ive heard everything
>> :D
>
> Longevity? by one year?
> Spectrum production: 1982-1992
> C64 production: 1982-1993

Was the 48K Spectrum still being produced in 1992? Or, perhaps you are
lumping together the original Spectrum and the 128K Spectrum.

The later C64's had a different case design, but still had the same keyboard
layout, the same amount of RAM, the same ports, etc., etc.

From: spike1 on
Simon <sscott(a)westnet.nospam.com.au> did eloquently scribble:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:48:57 +0000, spike1 wrote:

>> Duncan Snowden <dss(a)ukonline.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
>>
>>> Aye, never let it be said Commodore BASIC was complicated.
>>
>> Well they had to do print at somehow, and using cursor control characters
>> was their only way of doing it... poor things.

> I know what you mean, but quite seriously, at the time it seemed quite
> easy and intuitive. That is, for the 5 minutes I actually coded BASIC
> before progressing to MC.

Well. It's not as if you had that much choice, considering it was the only
way to get at the hardware.
:)
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | |
From: Vanessa Ezekowitz on
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:

> follow-ups restored. Now why would I allow that followup-to setting?

That's my fault I think...this newsreader requires me to manually set the
follow-up field if I want the message to go to more than one group.

> them. Boots the chemist, WH Smiths the news-agent, etc. Now, you'd have
> expected them to maybe sell in TV, Hi-Fi and electrical shops, but
> CHEMISTS?

Now that's an odd one...

> The interface 1 came with a drive.

Ahh. The article on Wikipedia implies that the interface could be purchased
without the drive though (for about 50 pounds)...admittedly, one would
surely want the drive with it.

> Feature by feature, the spectrum would by then only lack hardware sprites
> (woopydoo). But it would GAIN on the microdrive.

No arguement there - the Microdrive is fast. Third-party setups for
C64+1541 setups do approach that though (parallel cables, mostly).

As for sprites, well, we've already visited that issue in the past.
Hardware sprites are faster than software, but you can of course do
software sprites on any computer with a graphics display.

> Everyone had a tape recorder back then, any old tape recorder would do.
> And if you DID need a new one, you could pick one up for 15 quid from any
> electrical retailer.

At one time there was a small interface you could buy for the C64 that let
you use a normal cassette recorder in place of the datasette. Seem to
recall that being in the $20 range.

> Hmmm, well I've not been able to find the retail prices over here in the
> uk yet. But we're not called rip-off britain. Quite often we have a direct
> dollar-pound conversion on some inports.

I can understand some of that cost, simply because it costs money to ship
stuff overseas, but even that has limits.

> Are you doing currency conversion?
> Or are you actually using the UK RRPs?

Currency conversion using historical tables.

> And of course, price drops in the uk, lagged behind.
> If they happened at all.

Which is disappointing, really. I can understand why the Spectrum is
popular there - it's cheap and it works well.

> Every spec sheet on the c64 I've found on the web so far lists the
> datasette as being 300bps as standard.

The spec sheets are a little off.. Hell, the retail box for the C64 claims
256 sprites (in reality, there are 8).

> No, sorry... But our tape drive was quicker than your disk in many
> situations. Given a standing start with the tape in the right place.

>> An easy way to check is to turn the volume all the way up so that you can
>> hear the digital background noise, and then load a large program. Each
>> burst of noise you hear represents 254 bytes, and you'll hear a little
>> less than 2 such bursts per second.
>
> I again suspect a bit/byte mixup.

Nope, definitely 254 bytes (the other 2 bytes per block are used by the
filesystem).

> And listening? That's no way to measure bit speed in transfers.

Fine, let's use a stopwatch. Using VICE 1.20 to emulate a C64 and 1541
drive at their real speeds, and no fast loader, I loaded a 158 block file
from a 1541 disk image. Assuming the last block of the file is only
half-used, the file is about 40005 bytes in size (157.5 * 254). Timing
from the moment I hit enter on the LOAD command until the moment the READY
prompt appears.

Total load time: 1 minute, 41 seconds (101 seconds)
Approx. speed: 396 bytes per second.

Now let's exclude the time it takes the drive to seek to the first byte of
the file, by first loading the directory to force the drive to track 18,
then hard resetting both the C64 and 1541. Then, start the LOAD command,
wait for the SEARCHING message to appear, and then start the timer when
the "LOADING" message appears. Stop the timer as soon as the READY prompt
returns.

Total load time: 1 minute, 38 seconds (98 seconds)
Approx. speed: 408 bytes per second.

Let's try another test, this time with a(n emulated) 1581 drive. The
biggest file I have handy on a 1581 disk image is 202 blocks, PRG. I know
for sure the last block is full. That's 51308 bytes (202 * 254).

First test (as above):
Total load time: 1 minute 39 seconds (99 seconds)
Approx. speed: 518 bytes per second

Second test (as above, to exclude first block seek time):
Total load time: 1 minute, 38 seconds (98 seconds)
Approx. speed: 523 bytes per second.

I was a little off on the upper limit; I might be thinking of the CMD HD,
which has a faster load speed (using the same stock loader) than any other
serial device I know of. Clearly dead on accurate for the lower limit of
about 400 bytes per second.

>> ENTIRELY different hardware profile.
>
>> For data I/O, the VIC-20 used 6522 chips. The C64 used 6526's.
>> For video, the VIC-20 had it's VIC-I chip, the C64 used the VIC-II.
>> For sound, the VIC-20 used the sound generators in the VIC-I. The C64
>> used a SID chip.
>> The VIC-20 had a variable system memory map, the C64's was fixed.
>> The VIC-20 came with 5KB of RAM.
>
> 3.5K of RAM. I remember that much.

5K, of which 1.5K was used by the system for variables and the like. This
extra bit of RAM could be used by machine code if desired, as with the
C64's first ~2KB.

Your posting history disagrees with you... I wrote:

> > The C64 has an entirely different hardware profile than the VIC-20, with
> > a different KERNAL ROM to go with it. The API was mostly the same, with
> > only one or two minor differences. The BASIC ROM on the other hand,
> > makes sense to re-use.

And you you responded, quoting the above text:

> No, it doesn't.
> If it had a completely different hardware profile to the vic, why didn't
> they include ANYTHING in the rom for handling that hardware? EVERYTHING
> required pokes or machine code. Really helpful

Clearly, you think the hardware is the same, and questionably, you think it
was a bad business decision as well.

> All I argued about was the fact the ROM was essensially the same between
> the two in spite of these differences. Every time sinclair released a new
> machine, he'd update the BASIC to take advantage of the new features.

Similar things did happen with the Plus/4 (BASIC 4.0?), the C128 (BASIC
7.0), and the unreleased C65 (BASIC 10.0), just not during the VIC20 -> C64
transition. At least one other machine had BASIC 3.5 also, though I don't
remember which one that was.

When the spectrum came out the BASIC was massively updated, with the
> addition of sound, colour, graphics, better dimensional and string
> variable handling, DEFFN, READ/DATA/RESTORE, stream handling with OPEN
> #/CLOSE # PRINT #, etc. Fixed ROM hooks for future additions like the
> interface one. (cat, erase, format, etc)

The C64 also had DEF FN, READ/DATA/RESTORE, stream handling with
OPEN/CLOSE/PRINT/GET/INPUT, multiple-dimensional strings (any number of
dimensions, limited by the size of the array). Not sure how you compare
the variables - C64 had integer, floating point and character/string
variables.

> When the spectrum 128 came out the machine's ROM underwent another step
> up. Now the basic could be entered using typed keypresses in 128 mode or
> the traditional single keyword entry in 48k mode. The spectrum 128 only
> added 2 new commands, play and spectrum (which switched to 48k mode for
> BASIC), but some commands were modified to allow access to RAM disks,
> etc... But the 128 mode's menu system added some new features too. Such as
> a built in calculator, renumber, tape loader, better line editor, etc.
>
> Meanwhile, throughout all this, the commodore 64 had exactly the same
> version of BASIC as the commodore PET from 5 years before!

C128 was released a couple of months before the Spectryum 128K. It came
with the RENUMBER command, a full compliment of sound and graphics
commands, machine code monitor/assembler/disassembler, sprite editor, and
of course hardware-assisted fastloading standard with 1571 and later
drives. Ramdisk is an interesting thought; Commodore had released such a
utility with the 1764 REU, I'm surprised it didn't make it into BASIC 7.0.
However, commands were included to deal with the expansion RAM, so a
ramdisk with it's own filesystem/DOS wasn't really necessary anyway. The
line buffer/editor was extended to 160 characters.

>> To me, an OS is just a kernel and a handful of basic utilities to handle
>> stuff like copying files, moving things around, installing more software,
>> and maybe compiling programs. A full operating environment in my mind
>> means a full blown GUI like KDE or similar.
>
> But then how do you seperate things out when comparing it with windows?
> You can't strip the GUI from XP and still have a working operating system.
> OK, in linux, you can dump the GUI altogether, or switch between any one
> of a few dozen alternatives (I use blackbox, not KDE for example)

Actually, I use Linux as well - I don't trust windows with my personal
data :-)

>> 45 bytes per second is 450 bits per second, not 2400. I think you got
>> something confused here.
>
> You're multiplying by 10?

One byte is 8 bits plus 1 each of start and stop bits. That makes 10 bits
per byte. 45 bytes * 10 bits per byte = 450 bits.

> 60 bytes per second X 8 (8 bits in a byte) = 2400 bits per second.

Your math is way wrong here. 60 bytes * 8 bits each = 480 bits.

> KBps is kilo bytes per second for example [...]

This is the notation I used to use, but I found that people got confused by
it, so I generally write out the word "bytes" when I mean to measure in
bytes. Otherwise, you can probably safely assume I mean bits.

> OK.... I admit I screwed up on the maths. It was a bit late.
> :)
> I plead tiredness.

I'll accept that, I get the same way when I'm tired. But it's 4:15pm here
and I'm quite alert. My numbers regarding the 1541 are dead on balls
accurate. I'd do a test of the tape routines also, but I don't know how to
use the emulated tape drive in VICE.

--
"Life is full of happy and sad events. If you take the time
to concentrate on the former, you'll get further in life."