From: Duncan Snowden on
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:

> Wasn't mercenary on the c64 vastly inferior and more.. 2Dish than the
> speccy's 3D?

I wouldn't say "vastly", but it's nothing special. The view area is a
bit larger than the Speccy version's, and it doesn't have those weird
dotted vector lines, but it's all a bit distorted and the framerate is
definitely much lower. I've got them running side-by-side here, and I'm
surprised myself; I didn't think the difference was that great.

Seriously, flamewar exaggeration aside, if that's the best 3D the C64
can do, forget it. It has its strengths, but that isn't one of them, by
a long way.

--
Duncan Snowden.

From: Duncan Snowden on
DanSolo wrote:

> Mike Wynne wrote:
>> "DanSolo" wrote...
>>> So everything that you could see or hear from the C64 was
>>> better, obviously if you could bloody poke it into doing the thing.
>> Including CPU intensive 3d vector graphics?
>>
>> MikeW
>
> Starglider, Elite, Mercenary. And if you want to rub it in for
> yourself, compare C64 and Spectrum screenshots of Driller.

And compare C64 and Spectrum versions of Carrier Command, while you're
at it.

Elite hardly bolsters your case, either. It was horribly flickery on the
Commodore. Nobody's saying the C64 *couldn't* do 3D graphics. It just
wasn't very good at them. Like I said, compare Carrier Command. The
developers clearly realised it was futile to attempt a faithful 3D
conversion on the '64, just as the Spectrum can't do four-way scrolling
very well, so Paradroid became Quazatron. I don't think there's a
Commodore version of Starstrike II, either. (Probably the first
filled-polygon 3D game, predating Driller by a couple of years, and with
a higher - albeit still pretty low - framrate, to boot.)

--
Duncan Snowden.

From: spike1 on
DanSolo <daniel.otoole(a)ucd.ie> did eloquently scribble:
> Er, they are different games. Quazatron was never released for the C64,
> but if you want you can compare Magnetron, which was...
> http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0002986
> http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1580
> Either I'm a cyclops, or that looks 3D to me.

Well I did say errrr, magnetron was it?
what was magnetron the sequel to? Cos that one was distinctly 2D.
Quazatron was basically the 3D version of the 2D one.
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
From: spike1 on
Duncan Snowden <dss(a)ukonline.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
>> Then you could PRINT VT$(y)TAB(x)"your message" anywhere and get the same
>> effect as your PRINT AT command.

> Aye, never let it be said Commodore BASIC was complicated.

Well they had to do print at somehow, and using cursor control characters
was their only way of doing it... poor things.
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
From: spike1 on
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk did eloquently scribble:
> DanSolo <daniel.otoole(a)ucd.ie> did eloquently scribble:
>> Er, they are different games. Quazatron was never released for the C64,
>> but if you want you can compare Magnetron, which was...
>> http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0002986
>> http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1580
>> Either I'm a cyclops, or that looks 3D to me.

> Well I did say errrr, magnetron was it?
> what was magnetron the sequel to? Cos that one was distinctly 2D.
> Quazatron was basically the 3D version of the 2D one.

Ah, someone else said it... Paradroid.
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |