From: DanSolo on
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:
> You're forgetting though.
> 1: the hires screen mode on the c64 was rarely used in games because it
> limited the amount of colour, so direct comparison of spectrum and commodore
> graphics meant... the spectrum's was less colourful, but much more detailed,
> whilt the commodore had a "blocky" look to it.
>
> Also, the spectrum DID have 15 colours. It's just the attribute per
> character square you're criticising is it? That made the screen size smaller
> and thus faster to manipulate which made the games comparable to the
> commodore even WITHOUT hardware sprites.

I didn't want to use the actual words, because I know they pierce like
a dagger to the heart of all Spectrum fans but... "attribute clash".
Since the C64 was 320x200, this became 160x200 in colour mode. Not
miles away from 256x192. 32000 v 49152 pixels says my calculator. That
was a decent trade off for 4 colours per character, which were
independent of the sprites. Spectrum games simply don't look as good,
and I can't find any screenshots to indicate otherwise (although that
is subjective I'll admit and I am open to suggestions)
There's also C64 "bitmap" mode, though seldom used for animation
intensive games, but was nice to have for wireframes, graphical text
adventures and the like. It certainly moved fast enough for Elite and
Head Over Heels.
When it came to the top end games, it seems the 3.5MHz Z80 just didn't
have the juice to reproduce the extra hardware capabilities of the 1MHz
C64.
Yeah, it's nice to have all those extra graphics and data handling
commands in ZX BASIC, but who ever wrote anything good in BASIC? Er,
well I did, but that's beside the point...

From: Daniel Mandic on
DanSolo wrote:

> I think more important than the sprites, the Spec could really have
> done with a couple of more bytes for pixel colour. A real crippler. Is
> there any example of a Spectrum game that couldn't be matched or
> bettered graphicwise on the C64? (and consider Head Over Heels while
> writing your reply).
> So everything that you could see or hear from the C64 was better,
> obviously if you could bloody poke it into doing the thing.

the Commode have no chance when it comes to Speccy
Hi-Res ;)

It's an other atmosphere with Speccy, good for adventure and rpg games.
There are also some colors left in Hires ;-)

Everyone knows the video-capabilities and the smooth animation of
sprites with the commode, but soooooo blocky and big and clunky, but
smooth at least. (less room for more complex RPG/ADV Games, except they
would be in B/W 320x200)

How much colors are available with 256x176 with a commode, or an other
similiar Graphic Mode to that resolution?

Best regards,

Daniel Mandic
From: Wayne Weedon on
Vanessa Ezekowitz wrote:

> The C64 was introduced in 1982 with an MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail
> Price) of $595. At the time of release, one US dollar was worth about 0.59
> pounds, making the C64's MSRP about 351 pounds.
>
> In the USA, few retailers actually use an item's MSRP and instead set their
> own prices.

You may not know that often goods imported from the States are not
priced at true exchange rates. This is mainly down to the greedy
members of the supply chain, and very often the price ends up at a
theoretical 1:1 exchange rate.

I forget what the C64 sold for, but probably not 595 UKP which could of
been the case if they thought they could get away with it.

Wayne...
From: Mike Wynne on

"DanSolo" wrote...
> So everything that you could see or hear from the C64 was
> better, obviously if you could bloody poke it into doing the thing.

Including CPU intensive 3d vector graphics?

MikeW

From: DanSolo on
I don't consider myself to be an enemy of the Spectrum in any way, so I
feel sorry for people trying to make a case for it when you have
posters like this supposedly "helping" your argument.

Daniel Mandic wrote:
> the Commode have no chance when it comes to Speccy
> Hi-Res ;)
Rectum, Speculum, etc. etc.

> It's an other atmosphere with Speccy, good for adventure and rpg games.
OK, it's another atmosphere, fine. So is having superglue poured in
your ears and thumbtacks rubbed in your eyes, but it'll hardly improve
the audio and video.

> There are also some colors left in Hires ;-)
In "normal" mode each C64 character has the background colour and a one
of 15 others. That's not monochrome.

> Everyone knows the video-capabilities and the smooth animation of
> sprites with the commode, but soooooo blocky and big and clunky, but
> smooth at least. (less room for more complex RPG/ADV Games,

OK then, here's a challenge for you to chicken out of. Name a Spectrum
game that the C64 wasn't technically able to replicate. Or a C64 game
ported to the Spectrum that ended up with better graphics.

> except they would be in B/W 320x200)
Saying the same wrong thing twice doesn't help you here I'm afraid.

> How much colors are available with 256x176 with a commode, or an other
> similiar Graphic Mode to that resolution?
All the colours are "available" in 320x200, only you can't have every
pixel any colour you want. Same with the Spectrum. Doh.

Are you just testing if you are out of your league or are you actually
making a real attempt at this?