From: DanSolo on
Mike Wynne wrote:
> "DanSolo" wrote...
> > So everything that you could see or hear from the C64 was
> > better, obviously if you could bloody poke it into doing the thing.
>
> Including CPU intensive 3d vector graphics?
>
> MikeW

Starglider, Elite, Mercenary. And if you want to rub it in for
yourself, compare C64 and Spectrum screenshots of Driller.

From: spike1 on
Daniel Mandic <daniel_mandic(a)aon.at> did eloquently scribble:
> How much colors are available with 256x176 with a commode, or an other
> similiar Graphic Mode to that resolution?

Commodores didn't have a nice colour resolution.
Speccy pixels came out square on a standard TV or monitor.
Commodore lo-res pixels were horribly rectangular.
160x200 vs 256x192

That's why they looked blocky.
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
From: spike1 on
DanSolo <daniel.otoole(a)ucd.ie> did eloquently scribble:
> Mike Wynne wrote:
>> "DanSolo" wrote...
>> > So everything that you could see or hear from the C64 was
>> > better, obviously if you could bloody poke it into doing the thing.
>>
>> Including CPU intensive 3d vector graphics?
>>
>> MikeW

> Starglider, Elite, Mercenary. And if you want to rub it in for
> yourself, compare C64 and Spectrum screenshots of Driller.

Wasn't mercenary on the c64 vastly inferior and more.. 2Dish than the
speccy's 3D?

And screenshots are useless when comparing things like driller, dark side,
etc. The only thing that matters there is frame rate, which was slow enough
on the spectrum. Dread to think how slow it was on the 64.
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
From: DanSolo on
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:
> Wasn't mercenary on the c64 vastly inferior and more.. 2Dish than the
> speccy's 3D?
>
> And screenshots are useless when comparing things like driller, dark side,
> etc. The only thing that matters there is frame rate, which was slow enough
> on the spectrum. Dread to think how slow it was on the 64.
> --

No, not at all 2Dish. Compare the screenshots yourself. Plays fast too.
The C64 picture is the one with the 3 colours on the playarea at once
:-)
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0003126
http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1645
I was hoping to compare some "still" graphics from classics such as The
Pawn or The Guild Of Thieves, but it seems the Spectrum didn't have
any.
Yup, framerate for Driller was awful. I'll run them beside each other
later on the emu's to see how they shape up. Any attempts at a game
that looks better on the Spectrum?

From: DanSolo on
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:
> Academy perhaps? The commodore version was in 2D?
> Suppose I could say Quazatron vs... Magnetron was it?
> Ours, isometric 3D, commodore... boring 2D, other than that, very similar
> gameplay as robot klp2 attempts to destroy the robots by cannibalising their
> parts to upgrade himself.
> --
I can't find any C64 Academy, but if you've got a link?

Er, they are different games. Quazatron was never released for the C64,
but if you want you can compare Magnetron, which was...
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0002986
http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1580
Either I'm a cyclops, or that looks 3D to me.