From: Bob Williams on
RichA wrote:
> Just some info. Wow!! Genuine "optic glass" (as opposed to coke
> bottle bottoms?)
>
> http://www.samyang.pl/product,147,category,5,samyang_6501300mm_mc_if_f816
>
> The example moon shot they show with it is pathetic. No doubt linked
> as much to seeing changes during the inordinantly long exposure needed
> with an f16 focal length as much as the horrible optics.
>
> A better choice would be the 500mm they offer since it has ED glass at
> least:
>
> http://www.samyang.pl/product,80,category,5,samyang_500mm_f8_preset_ed_if_mc

Yep!
It seems pretty stupid to me to try to sell the quality of your lens by
displaying a whopping .06 MP image
Even the cheapest P&S could could have produced an image of that quality
What were they thinking?
Bob Williams
From: Bristolian on
Bruce,

Many thanks for the appraisal of the Samyang, it sounds like a good
lens. Like you, I was wondering if - at the prices being offered - it
would be any good at all but your experience certainly reduces those fears.

I plan to use it indoors to shoot judo competitions - my grandson is in
the GB squad - where the light is invariably poor and I end up with
either too much grain (from high ISO) or motion blur due to long shutter
speeds with my f/3.5-5.6 lens.

I think I might just give this one a try. Cheers :-)

--
Regards

Bristolian
From: RustY � on

"Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:29:59 -0000, "RustY �" <No.Mail(a)All.Thanks> wrote:
>
> Don't be snarky. Rich has no particular reason to know the difference
> berween
> aperture and focal length. Neither of them is made of plastic.
>
> Bob

I think you will find that Steel is the best material to cast focal lengths
out of. I understand from reading this group that plastic breaks too easily
[ and of course expansion plays havoc with focal lengths ]

From: Bruce on
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:28:02 +0000, Bristolian <net(a)hereany.more>
wrote:

>Bruce,
>
>Many thanks for the appraisal of the Samyang, it sounds like a good
>lens. Like you, I was wondering if - at the prices being offered - it
>would be any good at all but your experience certainly reduces those fears.
>
>I plan to use it indoors to shoot judo competitions - my grandson is in
>the GB squad - where the light is invariably poor and I end up with
>either too much grain (from high ISO) or motion blur due to long shutter
>speeds with my f/3.5-5.6 lens.
>
>I think I might just give this one a try. Cheers :-)

You're very welcome.

Just a word of warning when shooting sports; at f/1.4 there is almost
no depth of field, so any movement that takes your subject away from
the plane of focus can result in horribly out of focus shots. Even in
wedding photography and portraiture (not exactly action shots!) I have
to ask people to keep still, but at least with digital I can check the
shot immediately afterwards to ensure that they are in sharp focus,
and re-shoot if not.

Of course if you are using an APS-C DSLR, you will have slightly more
depth of field to work with, and the extra magnification (making it
effectively a 135mm f/1.4) will be useful. Also, using the lens wide
open will effectively defocus even the most obtrusive background,
which may be quite useful in a sports hall.

One thing I didn't get an opportunity to say is that the lens is an
outstanding performer at f/8 or f/11 with biting sharpness across the
frame, excellent contrast and distortion that is almost too low to
measure. It's just an amazing lens for the money.

From: Bruce on
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 22:49:49 +0100, Robert Spanjaard
<spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 19:55:02 +0000, Bruce wrote:
>
>[...]
>> I would not hesitate to recommend this lens. It is a joy to use. In
>> terms of bang for the buck, it cannot be beaten, and it would still be
>> excellent value at twice or even three times the price. I use it for
>> wedding and portrait photography and for general telephoto use, and it
>> gets a lot of work.
>>
>> Buy one and enjoy!
>
>How about internal reflections, like with bright lights in the frame? In
>all the images I've seen of the lens, it doesn't seem to have any coating
>at all.

Anyone who points a very wide aperture telephoto lens (of any brand)
directly at a light source is in need of some very basic tuition.