From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 11:38:11 -0000, "RustY �" <No.Mail(a)All.Thanks> wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
: news:0irpj5tekqum68evt6b9hoqi71ekq1mjtq(a)4ax.com...
: > On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:29:59 -0000, "RustY �" <No.Mail(a)All.Thanks> wrote:
: >
: > Don't be snarky. Rich has no particular reason to know the difference
: > berween aperture and focal length. Neither of them is made of plastic.
: >
: > Bob
:
: I think you will find that Steel is the best material to cast focal lengths
: out of. I understand from reading this group that plastic breaks too easily
: [ and of course expansion plays havoc with focal lengths ]

That shows how little you know about it. You can make focal lengths out of
rolled steel, but castings are never used.

Bob
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:24:33 +0000, Bruce wrote:

>>> Buy one and enjoy!
>>
>>How about internal reflections, like with bright lights in the frame? In
>>all the images I've seen of the lens, it doesn't seem to have any
>>coating at all.
>
> Anyone who points a very wide aperture telephoto lens (of any brand)
> directly at a light source is in need of some very basic tuition.

Thanks, Bruce. You just answered _two_ questions.
--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Rich on
Bob Williams <mytbobnospam(a)cox.net> wrote in

> RichA wrote:
>> Just some info. Wow!! Genuine "optic glass" (as opposed to coke
>> bottle bottoms?)
>>
>> http://www.samyang.pl/product,147,category,5,samyang_6501300mm_mc_if_f
>> 816
>>
>> The example moon shot they show with it is pathetic. No doubt linked
>> as much to seeing changes during the inordinantly long exposure
>> needed with an f16 focal length as much as the horrible optics.
>>
>> A better choice would be the 500mm they offer since it has ED glass
>> at least:
>>
>> http://www.samyang.pl/product,80,category,5,samyang_500mm_f8_preset_ed
>> _if_mc
>>

> Yep!
> It seems pretty stupid to me to try to sell the quality of your lens
> by displaying a whopping .06 MP image
> Even the cheapest P&S could could have produced an image of that
> quality What were they thinking?
> Bob Williams

Well, producing a good moon shot takes some effort, no matter what lens
you use, but I guess they figured any image of the moon would impress
potential buyers of that lens.
From: Paul Furman on
Robert Coe wrote:
> RustY � wrote:
> : RichA wrote
> :
> : > long exposure needed
> : > with an f16 focal length ...............
> :
> : What?
>
> Don't be snarky. Rich has no particular reason to know the difference
> berween aperture and focal length. Neither of them is made of plastic.

I disassembled a 28-200 old-ish film super-zoom and it has plastic
aperture blades. I wouldn't be surprised if that's used in high end
lenses too.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:55:41 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
: > RustY � wrote:
: > : RichA wrote
: > :
: > : > long exposure needed
: > : > with an f16 focal length ...............
: > :
: > : What?
: >
: > Don't be snarky. Rich has no particular reason to know the difference
: > berween aperture and focal length. Neither of them is made of plastic.
:
: I disassembled a 28-200 old-ish film super-zoom and it has plastic
: aperture blades. I wouldn't be surprised if that's used in high end
: lenses too.

They wouldn't rust, and you might not have to oil them. And oil that isn't
there won't drip onto a lens element.

Bob