From: Paul Furman on
Bruce wrote:

> <regarding Samyang 85mm f/1.4 lens>
>
> if you are using an APS-C DSLR, you will have slightly more
> depth of field to work with, and the extra magnification (making it
> effectively a 135mm f/1.4) will be useful.

Less DOF :-)

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: Bruce on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 16:51:40 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> <regarding Samyang 85mm f/1.4 lens>
>>
>> if you are using an APS-C DSLR, you will have slightly more
>> depth of field to work with, and the extra magnification (making it
>> effectively a 135mm f/1.4) will be useful.
>
>Less DOF :-)

My point was that there is more DOF on DX than FX.

From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:15:28 +0000, Bruce wrote:

>>> <regarding Samyang 85mm f/1.4 lens>
>>>
>>> if you are using an APS-C DSLR, you will have slightly more depth of
>>> field to work with, and the extra magnification (making it effectively
>>> a 135mm f/1.4) will be useful.
>>
>>Less DOF :-)
>
> My point was that there is more DOF on DX than FX.

True, but not when you use the same lens. The Samyang 85mm has more DOF on
FX than on DX. If you use a 85mm _equivalent_, like the Pentax DA* 55mm
f/1.4, then you'll get more DOF on DX.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Rich on
Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in

> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:55:41 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
> wrote:
>: Robert Coe wrote:
>: > RustY � wrote:
>: > : RichA wrote
>: > :
>: > : > long exposure needed
>: > : > with an f16 focal length ...............
>: > :
>: > : What?
>: >
>: > Don't be snarky. Rich has no particular reason to know the
>: > difference berween aperture and focal length. Neither of them is
>: > made of plastic.
>:
>: I disassembled a 28-200 old-ish film super-zoom and it has plastic
>: aperture blades. I wouldn't be surprised if that's used in high end
>: lenses too.
>
> They wouldn't rust, and you might not have to oil them. And oil that
> isn't there won't drip onto a lens element.
>
> Bob

The more moving plastic parts in a lens, the greater the problems from
plastic dust, which is WAY worse than metal dust as it is static charged,
always. Do this; Take a Nikon or Olympus lens with a plastic mount.
Mount and unmount it from the camera ten times. Now run your finger
around the lens's mount. BLACK plastic dust will coat your finger. The
abraision with metal that used to take years takes only weeks.
From: Bruce on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:11:12 -0600, Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>The more moving plastic parts in a lens, the greater the problems from
>plastic dust, which is WAY worse than metal dust as it is static charged,
>always. Do this; Take a Nikon or Olympus lens with a plastic mount.
>Mount and unmount it from the camera ten times. Now run your finger
>around the lens's mount. BLACK plastic dust will coat your finger. The
>abraision with metal that used to take years takes only weeks.

BLACK plastic dust?

Definitely the WORST kind!