From: Noons on
On Mar 4, 12:52 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> They're really pushing it hard! They want to be able to charge for
> licenses automatically. The results are really beginning to show, on the
> OUG meetings first. The NYOUG in the last October was a disaster, pure
> marketing pitch, mostly by Oracle and a few satellites. None of my
> colleagues was there, it was a loss of time. I will not attend the spring
> meeting. I don't know of any DBA (v1.0, of course) who is not

Oh, the OUG has stopped being minimally relevant years ago. Once it
was opened to control by external parties to peddle their wares and
services instead of being run by users, the end of its usefulness was
obvious.
Only fools who thought it was a "great marketing avenue" kept showing
up: real users left years ago.
We formed a new dba one last year and it's been a success, with
relevant matters being discussed and frequent meetings. Much more
useful. Thank Pythian for that.
Of course Oracle hasn't even offered to help, although their folks
seem to be keen to show up and eat pizza at our expense...

> practices too. Selling the product and then charging for the ability to
> tune it is morally dubious, to say the least. That is the primary reason

That one is such a customer relations disaster! I wonder who is the
genius that thought that one up and if he/she has been called to
explain the outcome.
But knowing how things work in big corporations, probably a VP by
now...

> license. Instead of a nice company that I was proud to recommend to my
> management, Oracle became a corporate bully that I am trying to avoid at
> all costs, whenever I can. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Ah well: not just you, I'm sure...
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 3, 4:50 pm, Noons <wizofo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> John, please!  I am *fully* aware of how OCM can be run:  I installed
> and examined it AGES ago. It is a viral tool. It has no place ANYWHERE
> in a modern data centre. Period.

Chill dude. Your posting here made it a little unclear to me at least
what you were aware of here.

You don't really have any choice about installing it ... it comes with
the software. New patchsets and maintenance that goes into the system
keeps updating it.

About the only choices that we have here is how we configure it ... if
we configure it ... and if we use it ... how we use it.

> > Since you can gather the information disconnected you are free to look
> > at all this information before you ship it into Oracle.
>
> I am not even remotely interested in wasting my time filtering what is
> sent to Oracle: my employer doesn't pay me to do Oracle's work. Is
> that clear?

If your employer pays you to support Oracle databases then anything
relevant to Oracle support probably comes under your discretion in
some regard. What you choose to do is obviously up to you.

> > As long as Oracle support makes up the rules about "necessary"
> > information ... well there's not much we can do if we need them to
> > work on an SR.
>
> Guess what: we are the paying client of a service, we make the rules.
> Basic law of business, as well as common law.
> Oracle better not forget that...

Maybe we don't speak the same language apparently.

I don't see anyone here arguing against the idea that we don't like
what has been forced on us.

> > You can try going up the support foodchain without supplying it.
>
> You bet.  And I can also make my next support payment dependent on
> Oracle changing their attitude.

The unfortunate situation is that Oracle customers need a support
contract to be able to download patches/patchset updates/patchsets
along with new releases etc.

From: Mladen Gogala on
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 05:51:37 -0800, John Hurley wrote:

> You don't really have any choice about installing it ... it comes with
> the software. New patchsets and maintenance that goes into the system
> keeps updating it.

Actually, you do. I consistently refuse to give it my CSI.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: joel garry on
On Mar 4, 7:53 am, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 05:51:37 -0800, John Hurley wrote:
> > You don't really have any choice about installing it ... it comes with
> > the software.  New patchsets and maintenance that goes into the system
> > keeps updating it.
>
> Actually, you do. I consistently refuse to give it my CSI.

That's not good enough. It still keeps running and trying to call
home by default. Just 'cause it doesn't succeed doesn't mean you
don't have to actively configure it to turn it off. So have you
figured out all the things it is doing and all the resources it is
taking up? (That's the editorial ranting you, not you in particular).

From the readme:

------------------------------------ begin inclusion

Enabling/Disabling collection of IP and MAC addresses:

With the 10.2.5.0.0 release of Oracle Configuration Manager, the user
now
has the ability to disable the collection of specific configuration
items. The
only two configuration items that can be disabled are the collection
of the
host IP address and the Network Interface MAC accress. By default,
these
configuration items are collected.

To disable their collection, add a property to the
collector.properties file
in $ORACLE_HOME/ccr/config.

Add the following line to disable the collection of the host IP
address:

ccr.metric.host.ecm_hw_nic.inet_address=false

Add the following line to disable the Network Interface MAC address
collection:

ccr.metric.host.ecm_hw_nic.mac_address=false

The metric(s) are re-enabled by removing the corresponding line from
the
collector.properties file.

------------------------------------ End inclusion

Did not giving the CSI prevent /oracle/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/
ccr/config/default/targets.xml from having your hostname? Have you
checked where ccr.endpoint points to in ccr.properties? (If I were a
bad guy, perhaps that's where I'd go to make your system give me your
information. If I knew how it worked). How about those funnily named
xml files in ccr/state?

find $ORACLE_HOME/ccr -exec grep -l db_users {} \; -exec ll {} \;

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Well, Oracle me to tears! http://weblogs.java.net/blog/2009/06/03/what-larry-said-ill-oracle-you

From: John Hurley on
On Mar 4, 10:53 am, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:

snip

> > You don't really have any choice about installing it ... it comes with
> > the software.  New patchsets and maintenance that goes into the system
> > keeps updating it.
>
> Actually, you do. I consistently refuse to give it my CSI.

Ummm that's the configuring part and using it part ... not the
installing part.