From: Noons on
On Mar 5, 12:51 am, John Hurley <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Chill dude.  Your posting here made it a little unclear to me at least
> what you were aware of here.

You are right: sorry. Chilled.

> You don't really have any choice about installing it ... it comes with
> the software.  New patchsets and maintenance that goes into the system
> keeps updating it.

Wanna bet?
$cd $ORACLE_HOME/ccr
ksh: /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/ccr: not found.
$

:) qed.

> About the only choices that we have here is how we configure it ... if
> we configure it ... and if we use it ... how we use it.

One of the reasons why I spent a few months looking into it.
Initially with the best of intentions, but as I learned more and more
of what it does, with the single intention of disabling it once and
for all.

> If your employer pays you to support Oracle databases then anything
> relevant to Oracle support probably comes under your discretion in
> some regard.  What you choose to do is obviously up to you.

Exactly. I chose to let Oracle support do their work, not me.
There is a marked difference between supporting a database that
happens to use Oracle software and supporting Oracle software: the two
are far from interchangeable.

> The unfortunate situation is that Oracle customers need a support
> contract to be able to download patches/patchset updates/patchsets
> along with new releases etc.

Oracle used to sell separate upgrade licensing and support licensing,
back in the pre-6 days.
Guess why they bundled both into a single licence? ;)
I wonder if anyone ever tested the legality under common law of them
doing so...
From: Noons on
On Mar 5, 5:19 am, joel garry <joel-ga...(a)home.com> wrote:

> The metric(s) are re-enabled by removing the corresponding line from
> the
> collector.properties file.
>
> ------------------------------------ End inclusion
>
> Did not giving the CSI prevent /oracle/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/
> ccr/config/default/targets.xml from having your hostname?  Have you
> checked where ccr.endpoint points to in ccr.properties?  (If I were a
> bad guy, perhaps that's where I'd go to make your system give me your
> information.  If I knew how it worked).  How about those funnily named
> xml files in ccr/state?

Interesting enough if you install a new version, the behaviour reverts
back to sending everything. How nice is that?...
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 4, 9:52 pm, Noons <wizofo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Wanna bet?
> $cd $ORACLE_HOME/ccr
> ksh: /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/ccr:  not found.
> $
>
> :)  qed.

I will take your bet ...

$ cd $ORACLE_HOME/ccr
$ pwd
/u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/ccr
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 5, 8:28 am, John Hurley <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

snip

> > Wanna bet?
> > $cd $ORACLE_HOME/ccr
> > ksh: /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/ccr:  not found.
> > $
>
> > :)  qed.
>
> I will take your bet ...
>
> $ cd $ORACLE_HOME/ccr
> $ pwd
> /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/ccr

Here is my last 10.2.0.4 system ...

$ pwd
/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/ccr
$ ll -ltr
total 56
-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall 23331 Dec 17 2007 README.TXT
.... ( lines deleted )
$ more README.TXT

Oracle Configuration Manager Release Notes
Version: 10.2.7.1.0
Date: December 17, 2007

These Release Notes list the important features of Oracle
Configuration Manager
and the known issues in this release.

The steps to install and configure Oracle Configuration Manager are
documented
in the Oracle Configuration Manager Installation and Administration
Guide.

About Oracle Configuration Manager
----------------------------------
From: joel garry on
On Mar 4, 6:52 pm, Noons <wizofo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 12:51 am, John Hurley <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Oracle used to sell separate upgrade licensing and support licensing,
> back in the pre-6 days.
> Guess why they bundled both into a single licence?  ;)
> I wonder if anyone ever tested the legality under common law of them
> doing so...

Which law would that be?
http://www.ipinfoblog.com/archives/licensing-law-issues-flawed-ali-software-contract-principles.html

jg