From: John Hurley on
On Mar 6, 8:57 pm, Noons <wizofo...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

snip

> How is that "taking my bet"?  I got rid of thee darn thing after someone claimed
> it couldn't be done, and you show me that it is in your system?
> So what? Get rid of it.  As simple as that.

Now you are changing your story here.

What's the point of posting stuff here if you want to keep claiming
different things?

Who exactly claimed that you could not get rid of it?
From: Noons on
John Hurley wrote,on my timestamp of 7/03/2010 1:01 PM:
> On Mar 6, 8:57 pm, Noons <wizofo...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> How is that "taking my bet"? I got rid of thee darn thing after someone claimed
>> it couldn't be done, and you show me that it is in your system?
>> So what? Get rid of it. As simple as that.
>
> Now you are changing your story here.

How come? Be careful with the answer, John: I dislike trolling, you know that
full well. And I don't run away like dizwell: I bite back.

> What's the point of posting stuff here if you want to keep claiming
> different things?

I post wherever I want, for whatever motives I might have, and it's absolutely
none of yours or anyone else's business if I do so, whenever I do so.
Is that in any shape or format not perfectly clear?

> Who exactly claimed that you could not get rid of it?

Actually, you did:

http://groups.google.com.au/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_frm/thread/01dfc18f5d87858b/e43b04ec00a5c172#e43b04ec00a5c172

and I quote:

"You don't really have any choice about installing it ... it comes with
the software. New patchsets and maintenance that goes into the system
keeps updating it.
About the only choices that we have here is how we configure it ... if
we configure it ... and if we use it ... how we use it. "

Me, I simply chose to get rid of it which is perfectly possible.
Hence, claiming that the only choice is to configure it or how to use it is
probably wrong?

But don't let that change your path: keep installing and running it, I'm quite
sure that'll make you a candidate for the next ace of the year or some other
equally irrelevant lolly.

I prefer industry-wide recognitions, rather than just one maker's.
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 7, 5:15 am, Noons <wizofo...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

snip

> "You don't really have any choice about installing it ... it comes with
> the software.  New patchsets and maintenance that goes into the system
> keeps updating it.
> About the only choices that we have here is how we configure it ... if
> we configure it ... and if we use it ... how we use it. "
>
> Me, I simply chose to get rid of it which is perfectly possible.
> Hence, claiming that the only choice is to configure it or how to use it is
> probably wrong?

It probably would have been useful if you had explained what you did
and why earlier in this series of postings.

As you posted it in sequence it looked ( at least to me ) like you
were claiming that it had not been installed.

With the actions that you performed and then throwing in the words
"wanna bet" my opinion is that allegations of trolling might be
reconsidered.

Going back to my original idea ... if you do ditch it ... it will come
back again.

If we choose not to use it ( as much as we can ... except when forced
to by Oracle support demands ) ... that's probably about as far as
most of us can reasonably go at this time.

Feel free to rant on but I really don't need any personal type slams
from you thanks very much.

From: John Hurley on
On Mar 7, 9:19 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> I used the OCM tool not long ago, and it uploaded the wrong
> information to Oracle.  It took four (wasted) days of working on an SR
> to determine that.
>
> I have also found the best analysts never ask for an RDA.  They always
> ask for what is relevant to your problem (alert log, crsd logs, etc.),
> and then work their way to more stuff if there is a need.

The problem is getting to the best analysts. The very large companies
with big support contracts have names and phone numbers of people in
the Oracle management chain that not many people have access to.
From: Noons on
John Hurley wrote,on my timestamp of 8/03/2010 1:02 AM:

> It probably would have been useful if you had explained what you did
> and why earlier in this series of postings.

It probably would have been easier for you if you had read the entire post and
quoted my phrase in the context I made it. Never forget: "it depends".

> Going back to my original idea ... if you do ditch it ... it will come
> back again.

and it'll be ditched again. Very simple and no sweat at all.

> If we choose not to use it ( as much as we can ... except when forced
> to by Oracle support demands ) ... that's probably about as far as
> most of us can reasonably go at this time.

Indeed. My call to support as described in the original post was answered and
resolved in 24 hours. Not bad for a low-priority development system.
Until I need a faster resolution, it stays that way.

> Feel free to rant on but I really don't need any personal type slams
> from you thanks very much.

Good.