From: Hemant K Chitale on

Maybe there should be a poll on this.
I don't like OCM and I don't use it. I rarely upload RDA output files
either.

Hemant K Chitale
From: Noons on
Hemant K Chitale wrote,on my timestamp of 3/03/2010 4:24 PM:
> Maybe there should be a poll on this.
> I don't like OCM and I don't use it. I rarely upload RDA output files
> either.

Ah, but you see: you must be one of those dinossaur dbas who actually act
responsibly and professionaly to upkeep the security of your site.

As opposed to the "dba2.0" kind who click on everything in sight with wild
abandon, while making faces at the camera...
From: Sybrand Bakker on
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 19:11:30 +1100, Noons <wizofoz2k(a)yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>As opposed to the "dba2.0" kind who click on everything in sight with wild
>abandon, while making faces at the camera...

If only they would do that in their webcam, so we can groan back when
they are asking their RTFM questions, indicating they are as stupid as
Oracle support personnel and Oracle developers.

---
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

From: vsevolod afanassiev on
I think it depends on the specifics of the case. If to investigate
this case Oracle Support needs init.ora parametes
or server patch level or similar then this information should be
provided in one form or another.
For example if I ask Oracle Support to investigate ORA-04031 errors
then I would provide them with
- init.ora parameters
- contents of V$SGASTAT, STATS$SGASTAT
- if this is 10g and ASMM is enabled then information from the views
that show how memory was resized
- ORA-04031 trace files
- alert.log
So may be they are asking for information that should have been
provided from the beginning

However if they are using lack of OCM to justify a delay in the
investigation when all necessary information has been provided then it
is bad.
From: Noons on
vsevolod afanassiev wrote,on my timestamp of 3/03/2010 8:15 PM:

> I think it depends on the specifics of the case. If to investigate
> this case Oracle Support needs init.ora parametes
> or server patch level or similar then this information should be
> provided in one form or another.

Good. All they have to do is ask for it, if/when needed. Period.

> For example if I ask Oracle Support to investigate ORA-04031 errors
> then I would provide them with
> - init.ora parameters
> - contents of V$SGASTAT, STATS$SGASTAT
> - if this is 10g and ASMM is enabled then information from the views
> that show how memory was resized
> - ORA-04031 trace files
> - alert.log

Exactly.

> So may be they are asking for information that should have been
> provided from the beginning

Actually, they asked for nothing: they just sent that email as an auto follow-up
to opening the SR, long before anyone had a look at it.

> However if they are using lack of OCM to justify a delay in the
> investigation when all necessary information has been provided then it
> is bad.

ORA-600 on a select from subpartitioned table, trace dump of simplified
statement provided. What possible need would there be to know the MAC address
of the network card in that system?