From: ray on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:21:14 -0700, Irwell wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2010 17:20:58 GMT, ray wrote:
>
>> Totally untouched photo of a thistle (canadian thistle, I think) I shot
>> near Cauldron Linn on the Snake River a couple of days ago.
>>
>> http://www.rcarter.net/region/thistle.jpg
>
> Nic picture, here is my version taken with a Panasonic G1, Roumania
> 2009.
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?
forum=1041&message=35722526

Cool - interesting looking bugs.
From: Robert Coe on
:
: > Totally untouched photo of a thistle (canadian thistle, I think) I shot
: > near Cauldron Linn on the Snake River a couple of days ago.
: >
: > http://www.rcarter.net/region/thistle.jpg
:
: Nic picture, here is my version taken with a
: Panasonic G1, Roumania 2009.
: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=35722526

Well, I'm afraid your voracious, destructive Japanese beetles don't engender
the same warm feeling in the viewer as Ray's nice, helpful bee. ;^)

Bob
From: It's NEVER the Camera on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 19:21:14 -0700, Irwell <hook(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 2 Jul 2010 17:20:58 GMT, ray wrote:
>
>> Totally untouched photo of a thistle (canadian thistle, I think) I shot
>> near Cauldron Linn on the Snake River a couple of days ago.
>>
>> http://www.rcarter.net/region/thistle.jpg
>
>Nic picture, here is my version taken with a
>Panasonic G1, Roumania 2009.
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=35722526

Since everyone is into thistles....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4764772879_e644410ff4_b.jpg

Shot handheld with a with a Fuji Finepix 2600z, 2.1 megapixel, fully
automatic, 3x zoom, P&S camera (about 10 years ago) on a very cloudy and
overcast day. (Note total lack of shadows.) Using a close-up filter
fashioned from a single-element plastic "achromat" salvaged from an old
126-Instamatic.

With careful upsampling and applying a Fourier transform at each stage this
can be successfully printed to 18"x13" from a 2.1 megapixel camera. This is
the downsized (and intentionally jpg degraded) image from the 3300x2475
upsampled version used for that very purpose.

From: Paul Furman on
It's NEVER the Camera wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 19:21:14 -0700, Irwell<hook(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2 Jul 2010 17:20:58 GMT, ray wrote:
>>
>>> Totally untouched photo of a thistle (canadian thistle, I think) I shot
>>> near Cauldron Linn on the Snake River a couple of days ago.
>>>
>>> http://www.rcarter.net/region/thistle.jpg
>>
>> Nic picture, here is my version taken with a
>> Panasonic G1, Roumania 2009.
>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=35722526
>
> Since everyone is into thistles....
>
> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4764772879_e644410ff4_b.jpg
>
> Shot handheld with a with a Fuji Finepix 2600z, 2.1 megapixel, fully
> automatic, 3x zoom, P&S camera (about 10 years ago) on a very cloudy and
> overcast day. (Note total lack of shadows.) Using a close-up filter
> fashioned from a single-element plastic "achromat" salvaged from an old
> 126-Instamatic.
>
> With careful upsampling and applying a Fourier transform at each stage this
> can be successfully printed to 18"x13" from a 2.1 megapixel camera. This is
> the downsized (and intentionally jpg degraded) image from the 3300x2475
> upsampled version used for that very purpose.

Nice pic, but 8 megapixels from 2 (given half a megapixel to see). Oh
boy. I've printed 3 megapixels at 13x19 - it can be passable flipping
through quickly if the content is good.
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 10:25:21 -0700, in
<_budnfYnf52U-q7RnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Paul Furman
<paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:

>It's NEVER the Camera wrote:

>> Since everyone is into thistles....
>>
>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4764772879_e644410ff4_b.jpg
>>
>> Shot handheld with a with a Fuji Finepix 2600z, 2.1 megapixel, fully
>> automatic, 3x zoom, P&S camera (about 10 years ago) on a very cloudy and
>> overcast day. (Note total lack of shadows.) Using a close-up filter
>> fashioned from a single-element plastic "achromat" salvaged from an old
>> 126-Instamatic.
>>
>> With careful upsampling and applying a Fourier transform at each stage this
>> can be successfully printed to 18"x13" from a 2.1 megapixel camera. This is
>> the downsized (and intentionally jpg degraded) image from the 3300x2475
>> upsampled version used for that very purpose.
>
>Nice pic, but 8 megapixels from 2 (given half a megapixel to see). Oh
>boy. I've printed 3 megapixels at 13x19 - it can be passable flipping
>through quickly if the content is good.

I liked the Fourier transform bit. LOL!

Even with Genuine Fractals, I'd say 13x18 from 2.1 MP
would be no better than "acceptable" at normal viewing distance.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]