From: Ohmster on
J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote in news:1266091590_115(a)vo.lu:

[..]
> Have you bothered to look at the Scanner HOWTO, specifically
>
> 2.3. Parallel Port Scanners

Of course. Unfortunately, they do not go into how to do it, step by step,
there are various backends and frontends to be setup and configures, plus
kernel module support. This turns installing a simple flatbed scanner into
a several week, hair pulling nightmare that probably won't work. I got some
very negative results from searching on this topic and wanted to see if
anyone here got one to work and if so, how they did it and was it very
difficult. Does not look very promising, time to toss this thing into the
landfill and try out the Lexmark X8350 in the other room. It has a USB
interface, I just did not want to use it because that is another printer
that I will have to buy ink for and I am not excited about the price of
ink, especially with running more than one printer. Right now I have an HP
920c on Windows 7 and have always been able to share it with Linux but
since installing Windows 7, for the life of me I cannot get it to work with
samba, although the file shares work just fine.

Looks like for real time to pitch the Adara scanner into the landfill and
it is such a good scanner too. :(

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: philo on
Ohmster wrote:
> philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> There is rather limited support for parallel port scanners...
>> as much as I like keeping old hardware alive...
>> I'd say it's time to move on.
>
> Thanks!

FWIW:

I did make a decent try at getting my parallel port scanner working
but finally gave up.

Though I have quite a few USB scanners
I took a more challenging route and decided to try a SCSI scanner

that worked OK
From: J G Miller on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:36:02 -0600, Ohmster wrote:

> Right now I have an HP 920c on Windows 7 and have always been able to
> share it with Linux but since installing Windows 7, for the life of me
> I cannot get it to work with samba

Can other Windoze machines see it? Maybe you should ask in a Windoze
group about sharing scanners from Windows 7.

> Looks like for real time to pitch the Adara scanner into the landfill
> and it is such a good scanner too. :(

Do not be too hasty.

Would it be possible to get it to work in a virtual machine,
with VMWare running Windows 98, or other virtualization software?

From: Ohmster on

> FWIW:
>
> I did make a decent try at getting my parallel port scanner working
> but finally gave up.
>
> Though I have quite a few USB scanners
> I took a more challenging route and decided to try a SCSI scanner
>
> that worked OK

Yeah but you had a real SCSSI scanner, didn't you? You did not try to make
the parallel scanner work as a SCSSI, did you? That is how this Adara used
to work in Windows, as a fake SCSSI but it sure does not work in Linux or
Windows 7. Time for the landfill I guess. :(

From: philo on
Ohmster wrote:
> philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> FWIW:
>>
>> I did make a decent try at getting my parallel port scanner working
>> but finally gave up.
>>
>> Though I have quite a few USB scanners
>> I took a more challenging route and decided to try a SCSI scanner
>>
>> that worked OK
>
> Yeah but you had a real SCSSI scanner, didn't you? You did not try to make
> the parallel scanner work as a SCSSI, did you? That is how this Adara used
> to work in Windows, as a fake SCSSI but it sure does not work in Linux or
> Windows 7. Time for the landfill I guess. :(

Correct

I spent a bit of time trying to get a parallel port scanner to work
but finally gave up

the scanner I am using is a real SCSI scanner

in general Linux should have no problems with either USB or SCSI scanners.

I take my old computer equipment to the recyclers
so at least the old junk does not go into a land fill