From: clone4crw on
On Feb 14, 12:14 pm, philo <ph...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Ohmster wrote:
> > philo <ph...(a)privacy.net> wrote in
>
> >> FWIW:
>
> >> I did make a decent try at getting my parallel port scanner working
> >> but finally gave up.
>
> >> Though I have quite a few USB scanners
> >> I took a more challenging route and decided to try a SCSI scanner
>
> >> that worked OK
>
> > Yeah but you had a real SCSSI scanner, didn't you? You did not try to make
> > the parallel scanner work as a SCSSI, did you? That is how this Adara used
> > to work in Windows, as a fake SCSSI but it sure does not work in Linux or
> > Windows 7. Time for the landfill I guess. :(
>
> Correct
>
> I spent a bit of time trying to get a parallel port scanner to work
> but finally gave up
>
> the scanner I am using is a real SCSI scanner
>
> in general Linux should have no problems with either USB or SCSI scanners..
>
> I take my old computer equipment to the recyclers
> so at least the old junk does not go into a land fill

No! Don't throw it out! Make it into a lamp or something. That's what
I did with my old Parallel scanner. I just took out the fluorescent
bulb and the inverter board and soldered on a switch and a 9v DC
transformer to it. I made a stand using some bottles and duct tape and
it works great. Then recycle/throw out all the other parts.
From: Baron on
Ohmster Inscribed thus:

> philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> FWIW:
>>
>> I did make a decent try at getting my parallel port scanner working
>> but finally gave up.
>>
>> Though I have quite a few USB scanners
>> I took a more challenging route and decided to try a SCSI scanner
>>
>> that worked OK
>
> Yeah but you had a real SCSSI scanner, didn't you? You did not try to
> make the parallel scanner work as a SCSSI, did you? That is how this
> Adara used to work in Windows, as a fake SCSSI but it sure does not
> work in Linux or Windows 7. Time for the landfill I guess. :(

The "Adara" is a SCSI scanner on a 25pin interface !
The software had to make the printer port behave like a SCSI one.
Too bad the software was flaky.

As an addendum to my previous post, I went up into the loft and
discovered the interface card that I bought in order to persuade my
scanner(s) to work with W98. Its a "Spot" branded 8 bit ISA card with
a label on it that says "plug into a 16 bit slot only". There are
three jumpers to select the interrupt number.

So I suggest that with SCSI card in the computer it may well work.
I wish my machine had an ISA slot, then I could have a play with it.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: TJ on
On 02/14/2010 01:14 PM, philo wrote:

> in general Linux should have no problems with either USB or SCSI scanners.

But of course like all generalities, that doesn't always hold up well. I
have a Visioneer OneTouch 7600 USB scanner that has never worked with
Linux. It's too bad really, because it's a nice scanner. I bought it
from Office Max on a $20-after-rebate deal back around 2001. Worked
great with Windows 98SE, and still worked great the last time I used it,
a couple of years ago. It uses some kind of oddball chipset - E3(?) or
something like that. There was once a project to write a Linux driver
for that chipset, but it died off before getting very far.
Interestingly, there was also a parallel version of the same model
scanner, and from what I read somewhere it worked fine with Linux.

Fortunately, I've also had two multifunction HP printers, and those
scanners work beautifully with Linux. Well, at least until the scanner
bulbs give out...

TJ
--
90 per cent of everything is crud.

- Theodore Sturgeon
From: David Schwartz on
On Feb 13, 10:57 am, Baron <baron.nos...(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net>
wrote:

> I have two different, new still in the box parallel port scanners.
> So I have some sympathy with you.  Both scanners had some difficulties
> running with W98/2K and were really SCSI devices in disguise.

They are either parallel-port scanners or they are SCSI scanners. I
have never seen nor heard of a scanner that used a single port for
both purposes. If you connect a 25-pin SCSI connector a parallel-port
scanner, it cannot possibly work.

> I did buy a 25pin SCSI adaptor card which improved the behavior, but by
> that time I had lost interest in them, boxed them back up and put them
> away.  As far as I recall they are still in the loft somewhere.

The printer either had a parallel port of a SCSI port. They are both
25 pin connectors, but other than that they are not at all similar.
The SCSI scanners typically came with a cheap SCSI card and cable.

DS
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-02-17, David Schwartz <davids(a)webmaster.com> wrote:

> They are either parallel-port scanners or they are SCSI scanners. I
> have never seen nor heard of a scanner that used a single port for
> both purposes. If you connect a 25-pin SCSI connector a parallel-port
> scanner, it cannot possibly work.

> The printer either had a parallel port of a SCSI port. They are both
> 25 pin connectors, but other than that they are not at all similar.
> The SCSI scanners typically came with a cheap SCSI card and cable.

There is a way to tunnel SCSI over a parallel port. Early external
CDROM drives and Zip drives used it, possibly some scanners did too,
But as you say it doesn't make the parallel port pin-compatible
with a SCSI port because the SCSI bus is only on the far side of the
parallel-scsi adaptor circuit. The "ppa" and "imm" modules are
drivers for some of these SCSI adaptors