From: Baron on
Hi David,
Sorry for the late response.

David Schwartz Inscribed thus:

> On Feb 13, 10:57 am, Baron <baron.nos...(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I have two different, new still in the box parallel port scanners.
>> So I have some sympathy with you.  Both scanners had some
>> difficulties running with W98/2K and were really SCSI devices in
>> disguise.
>
> They are either parallel-port scanners or they are SCSI scanners. I
> have never seen nor heard of a scanner that used a single port for
> both purposes. If you connect a 25-pin SCSI connector a parallel-port
> scanner, it cannot possibly work.

The scanners were basically SCSI. But the software used the LPTx port
as a SCSI compatible one in order to drive them.

>> I did buy a 25pin SCSI adaptor card which improved the behavior, but
>> by that time I had lost interest in them, boxed them back up and put
>> them away.  As far as I recall they are still in the loft somewhere.
>
> The printer either had a parallel port or a SCSI port. They are both
> 25 pin connectors, but other than that they are not at all similar.
> The SCSI scanners typically came with a cheap SCSI card and cable.
>
> DS

There was never any problem with the printer other than the scanner was
supposed to pass through the printer signals. The software for the
scanner left the printer (LPT) port in an inderteminite state, the
result was that the printer just didn't print when asked to.

There were SCSI scanners that did come with an adaptor card that was
basically an 8 bit SCSI port. Indeed I've used them to drive SCSI hard
drives.

There were also true parallel port scanners which didn't use the SCSI
protocols to drive them. Agfa made several models, non of which would
run connected to a SCSI port.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Ohmster on
clone4crw <clone4crw(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:eeac6a0c-5d2a-44d7-87a0-
8b86dfe822ea(a)v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

> No! Don't throw it out! Make it into a lamp or something. That's what
> I did with my old Parallel scanner. I just took out the fluorescent
> bulb and the inverter board and soldered on a switch and a 9v DC
> transformer to it. I made a stand using some bottles and duct tape and
> it works great. Then recycle/throw out all the other parts.

LOL! Now that is something that I have *got* to see! I know, I know, this
is not a binary newsgroup but can you put it on a webserver somewhere as a
jpg and give me a link, please? I want to see this thing so bad I think I
will pee in my pants if I don't get to see it soon!

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Ohmster on
Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in news:hl9pal$cs1$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> The "Adara" is a SCSI scanner on a 25pin interface !
> The software had to make the printer port behave like a SCSI one.
> Too bad the software was flaky.
>
> As an addendum to my previous post, I went up into the loft and
> discovered the interface card that I bought in order to persuade my
> scanner(s) to work with W98. Its a "Spot" branded 8 bit ISA card with
> a label on it that says "plug into a 16 bit slot only". There are
> three jumpers to select the interrupt number.
>
> So I suggest that with SCSI card in the computer it may well work.
> I wish my machine had an ISA slot, then I could have a play with it.
>
> --
> Best Regards:
> Baron.

Wow, now that really is interesting Baron. I do have ISA slots, I hate to
throw away anything that was worth a lot once or was top of the line at
one time. My computer I bought new at the time for three thousand five
hundred dollars and it came with the Adara flatbed scanner, a 21" CRT
monitor (*Nobody* had a monitor *that* huge!), an AWE64 Gold ISA sound
card, an nvidia AGP video card although I forget the original card,
awesome speakers, natural ergonomic keyboard, a Pentium III Coppermine
800Mhz now at 1.5Gb SDRAM, and well, the thing always worked so good that
I could not just throw it out when I finally bought a much faster AMD
computer so it became my first Red Hat 6.0 server and has run Red Hat and
Fedora ever since. It has a nice Nvidia GeForce 5500 card in it and does
compiz-fusion like no tomorrow, still serving up apache and FTP, and
never has let me down. I finally had to get a new sound card for it when
I updated Fedora and forgot how to load the SB module to make it work and
now even Fedora does not recognize that sound card unless you load the
kernel module yourself with modprobe.

Anyway, I got a Lexmark printer that I took home from work that is an all
in one USB with scanner, printer, the whole nine yards and it works a
treat. I use it on Windows 7 but both machines are networked together so
what one machine has, the other one has too. I love working with
Dreamweaver on Windows and actually having a network share right to a
real, online, working, FQDN apache server for testing and actual web use.
Linux really does rock.

So you have a new machine that did away with ISA slots now? What do you
have, PCI Express?

From: Whiskers on
On 2010-03-16, Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
> philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote in

[...]

> Thanks philo. You know, I didn't think of that but that is not a bad idea
> at all and I might just end up going that route. I got a Natural ergonomic
> keyboard as a gift and it could go USB or PS2 port. I was thrilled to free
> up a USB port and naturally put it in the PS2 slot. Windows 7 had a fit,
> BSOD all the way, just could not do it, I think because I just did not have
> the interrupt to spare for the PS2 port so I had to go back to USB on the
> keyboard. I should look at the device manager to see what is using that
> interrupt, what number is it? Oh google will tell me that...

PS/2 connectors can't be plugged in or unplugged while the computer is
powered up - doing so could even damage the PS/2 parts of the motherboard.
Try plugging in the PS/2 keyboard while the computer is powered down; if
all is well, I think the power-on self test should detect the keyboard and
pass the information on to the operating system when that starts.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Baron on
Ohmster Inscribed thus:

> Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in news:hl9pal$cs1$1
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>

>> The "Adara" is a SCSI scanner on a 25pin interface !
>> The software had to make the printer port behave like a SCSI one.
>> Too bad the software was flaky.
>>
>> As an addendum to my previous post, I went up into the loft and
>> discovered the interface card that I bought in order to persuade my
>> scanner(s) to work with W98. Its a "Spot" branded 8 bit ISA card
>> with
>> a label on it that says "plug into a 16 bit slot only". There are
>> three jumpers to select the interrupt number.
>>
>> So I suggest that with SCSI card in the computer it may well work.
>> I wish my machine had an ISA slot, then I could have a play with it.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards:
>> Baron.
>>

> Wow, now that really is interesting Baron. I do have ISA slots, I hate
> to throw away anything that was worth a lot once or was top of the
> line at one time. My computer I bought new at the time for three
> thousand five hundred dollars and it came with the Adara flatbed
> scanner, a 21" CRT monitor (*Nobody* had a monitor *that* huge!), an
> AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, an nvidia AGP video card although I forget
> the original card, awesome speakers, natural ergonomic keyboard, a
> Pentium III Coppermine 800Mhz now at 1.5Gb SDRAM, and well, the thing
> always worked so good that I could not just throw it out when I
> finally bought a much faster AMD computer so it became my first Red
> Hat 6.0 server and has run Red Hat and Fedora ever since. It has a
> nice Nvidia GeForce 5500 card in it and does compiz-fusion like no
> tomorrow, still serving up apache and FTP, and never has let me down.
> I finally had to get a new sound card for it when I updated Fedora and
> forgot how to load the SB module to make it work and now even Fedora
> does not recognize that sound card unless you load the kernel module
> yourself with modprobe.
>
> Anyway, I got a Lexmark printer that I took home from work that is an
> all in one USB with scanner, printer, the whole nine yards and it
> works a treat. I use it on Windows 7 but both machines are networked
> together so what one machine has, the other one has too. I love
> working with Dreamweaver on Windows and actually having a network
> share right to a real, online, working, FQDN apache server for testing
> and actual web use. Linux really does rock.
>
> So you have a new machine that did away with ISA slots now? What do
> you have, PCI Express?

PCI & PCIE. The Adaptec card is PCI but no 8 or 16 bit ports.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.