From: philo on
Whiskers wrote:
> On 2010-03-16, Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
>> philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote in
>
> [...]
>
>> Thanks philo. You know, I didn't think of that but that is not a bad idea
>> at all and I might just end up going that route. I got a Natural ergonomic
>> keyboard as a gift and it could go USB or PS2 port. I was thrilled to free
>> up a USB port and naturally put it in the PS2 slot. Windows 7 had a fit,
>> BSOD all the way, just could not do it, I think because I just did not have
>> the interrupt to spare for the PS2 port so I had to go back to USB on the
>> keyboard. I should look at the device manager to see what is using that
>> interrupt, what number is it? Oh google will tell me that...
>
> PS/2 connectors can't be plugged in or unplugged while the computer is
> powered up - doing so could even damage the PS/2 parts of the motherboard.
> Try plugging in the PS/2 keyboard while the computer is powered down; if
> all is well, I think the power-on self test should detect the keyboard and
> pass the information on to the operating system when that starts.

I agree

I've never heard of a PS/2 port interfering with anything

as to USB-2 a PCI card probably costs less than 20 bucks
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-03-16, Whiskers <catwheezel(a)operamail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-16, Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
>> philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote in
>
> [...]
>
>> Thanks philo. You know, I didn't think of that but that is not a bad idea
>> at all and I might just end up going that route. I got a Natural ergonomic
>> keyboard as a gift and it could go USB or PS2 port. I was thrilled to free
>> up a USB port and naturally put it in the PS2 slot. Windows 7 had a fit,
>> BSOD all the way, just could not do it, I think because I just did not have
>> the interrupt to spare for the PS2 port so I had to go back to USB on the
>> keyboard. I should look at the device manager to see what is using that
>> interrupt, what number is it? Oh google will tell me that...
>
> PS/2 connectors can't be plugged in or unplugged while the computer is
> powered up - doing so could even damage the PS/2 parts of the motherboard.

The probability of that actually happening is pretty low.
- less than 0.1%, linux handles ps/2 devices being plugged in and
unplugged while it's running very well, windows not so much.

but if you're woried USB to ps/2 adaptors are cheap. (uses up a USB port
though)

From: J G Miller on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:53:57 +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:

> The probability of that actually happening is pretty low. - less than
> 0.1%, linux handles ps/2 devices being plugged in and unplugged while
> it's running very well, windows not so much.

I have always found that if the mouse is disconnected while the X server
is running, then the mouse sprite freezes, and remains stuck even after
the mouse is reconnected. The only way to get the mouse functionality
back is to restart the X server.

So KVM devices simulate the presence of a mouse connection to each
connected machine in order to switch between machines and not cause
loss of mouse functionality.

Thankfully the keyboard does not suffer the same problem if disconnected.

From: clone4crw on
On Mar 15, 8:13 pm, Ohmster <r...(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
> clone4crw <clone4...(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:eeac6a0c-5d2a-44d7-87a0-
> 8b86dfe82...(a)v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:
>

> > No! Don't throw it out! Make it into a lamp or something. That's what
> > I did with my old Parallel scanner. I just took out the fluorescent
> > bulb and the inverter board and soldered on a switch and a 9v DC
> > transformer to it. I made a stand using some bottles and duct tape and
> > it works great. Then recycle/throw out all the other parts.
>
> LOL! Now that is something that I have *got* to see! I know, I know, this
> is not a binary newsgroup but can you put it on a webserver somewhere as a
> jpg and give me a link, please? I want to see this thing so bad I think I
> will pee in my pants if I don't get to see it soon!
>
> --
> ~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
> Put "messageforohmster" in message body
> (That is Message Body, not Subject!)
> to pass my spam filter.

Yeah I sure can. Give me a little time, I'll post them somewhere
tonight.
From: clone4crw on
On Mar 15, 8:13 pm, Ohmster <r...(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
> clone4crw <clone4...(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:eeac6a0c-5d2a-44d7-87a0-
> 8b86dfe82...(a)v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:
>

> > No! Don't throw it out! Make it into a lamp or something. That's what
> > I did with my old Parallel scanner. I just took out the fluorescent
> > bulb and the inverter board and soldered on a switch and a 9v DC
> > transformer to it. I made a stand using some bottles and duct tape and
> > it works great. Then recycle/throw out all the other parts.
>
> LOL! Now that is something that I have *got* to see! I know, I know, this
> is not a binary newsgroup but can you put it on a webserver somewhere as a
> jpg and give me a link, please? I want to see this thing so bad I think I
> will pee in my pants if I don't get to see it soon!
>
> --
> ~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
> Put "messageforohmster" in message body
> (That is Message Body, not Subject!)
> to pass my spam filter.

http://picasaweb.google.com/clone4crw/ScannerBulbLamp?feat=directlink
There's a few pics of it if you're still interested