From: Terry on
Sue
Cannot help with your different prob'
I still am unable to send/receive email via OE, but able to manage both in
MSN.
In OE (not default mail reader), I can access newsgroups OK.
Terry

"Sue" <Sue(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've had this same problem since Wed afternoon when trying to use my
Outlook
> to reply. I had no problems sending through Hotmail--but that is too slow
> and a pain. I finally contacted support through "chat" this morning. I
was
> told "maintenance" is being performed on the servers and they are working
> solve the problem.
>
> Here's a question for you Techies. When I asked where on MSN support this
> information would be posted, I was told that not everyone was having the
> problem, therefore, it wouldn't be reported on the "trouble" site.
> Okay....so I asked if there was another port I could change to (my
settings
> are now set to access port 25); I was told that MSN only used one port and
> basically I was SOL until the problem was fixed. Now, Logic tells me, if
not
> everyone is having this problem, there must be more than one port.
Correct
> me if I'm wrong? Am I thinking to logical for computer stuff? Thanks!
> --
> Sue
>

> "Terry" wrote:
>
> > More OE error messages pertaing to my earlier post:
> >
> > "Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account:
'Hotmail',

From: PA Bear on
Sue & Terry and your Hotmail (HTTP) problems:

If the posted workaround (closing and then reopening OE) isn't working for
you, your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default
Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
(File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items (Local folders, not the Hotmail ones) to
archive messages. Move them to local folders created for this purpose.

- Empty the Local folder named Deleted Items daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

- Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection. (Hotmail
accounts are not scanned by your anti-virus.)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security