From: Terry on
Win XP Pro
IE & OE v6

Just updated to SP2.

I am unable to download my email from server due to the error:
"Time-out occurred while communicating with the server"

Any ideas please

TIA

From: PA Bear on
Post the complete error message.

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection, it may be causing the problem, and even Symantec
(like most other AV makers) says it's not necessary:

<paste>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</paste>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

From: Terry on
The error box has "details" tab, seen as follows:

Configuration:
Account: Hotmail
Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
User name: (my user name in here)
Protocol: HTTPMail
Port: 0
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800ccc19

Terry

From: Terry on
More OE error messages pertaing to my earlier post:

"Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail',
Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol:
HTTPMail, Server Response: '', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
12002, Error Number: 0x800CCC19"

"Header download for the 'Inbox' folder did not complete. Account:

From: PA Bear on
Ah, it's a Hotmail account!

Terry, we're told that this is being caused by a .NET Passport problem and
that they're working on a fix. The usual workaround is to close and reopen
OE. YMMV.