From: Alistair on
On Mar 26, 2:39 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <813rpqFno...(a)mid.individual.net>,
>
> Pete Dashwood <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >I am thinking about offering some products to mainframe sites, but the thing
> >that stops me currently is that I don't have easy access to an IBM
> >mainframe... I could buy time, but if I don't have a prospective client it
> >is a risk. I could look for a partnership with someone running a mainframe,
> >but I haven't really thought through that option yet, and it would need to
> >be attractive and fair to both parties. A solution might be to get something
> >that does a faithful emulation. (Obviously, I'm not going to buy an IBM
> >mainframe on spec... :-))
>
> For research:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_emulator
>
> For downloads:
>
> http://www.hercules-390.org/
>
> DD

IIRC, when I last looked at the Hercules system, it produced an
emulation of a MVS system that was well out of date as it used free-to-
use software.
From: Anonymous on
In article <686a67d1-8659-4d75-a3c4-7558fd3f3597(a)k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Mar 26, 2:39?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article <813rpqFno...(a)mid.individual.net>,
>>
>> Pete Dashwood <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> >I am thinking about offering some products to mainframe sites, but the thing
>> >that stops me currently is that I don't have easy access to an IBM
>> >mainframe... I could buy time, but if I don't have a prospective client it
>> >is a risk. I could look for a partnership with someone running a mainframe,
>> >but I haven't really thought through that option yet, and it would need to
>> >be attractive and fair to both parties. A solution might be to get something
>> >that does a faithful emulation. (Obviously, I'm not going to buy an IBM
>> >mainframe on spec... :-))
>>
>> For research:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_emulator
>>
>> For downloads:
>>
>> http://www.hercules-390.org/
>>
>> DD
>
>IIRC, when I last looked at the Hercules system, it produced an
>emulation of a MVS system that was well out of date as it used free-to-
>use software.

From the first of the two URLs:

--begin quoted text:

The IBM public domain operating systems OS/360, DOS/360, DOS/VS, MVS,
VM/370, and TSS/370 run under the emulator.

Newer operating systems, such as OS/390, z/OS, VSE/ESA, z/VSE, VM/ESA, and
z/VM will run, but cannot legally be used except in very limited
circumstances for license reasons. IBM has recently marketed the latest
operating systems to run on a z/PDT for development purposes only.

--end quoted text

Granted that I have no idea what Mr Dashwood's intentions might be... but
for The Usual Suspects (COBOL '85, command-level CICS and DB2) MVS might
work just fine.

DD

From: Alistair on
On Mar 26, 3:51 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <686a67d1-8659-4d75-a3c4-7558fd3f3...(a)k17g2000yqb.googlegroups..com>,
>

> Alistair  <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >On Mar 26, 2:39?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> >> In article <813rpqFno...(a)mid.individual.net>,
>
> >> Pete Dashwood <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >> [snip]

> >> For research:
>
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_emulator
>
> >> For downloads:
>
> >>http://www.hercules-390.org/
>
> >> DD
>
> >IIRC, when I last looked at the Hercules system, it produced an
> >emulation of a MVS system that was well out of date as it used free-to-
> >use software.
>
> From the first of the two URLs:
>
> --begin quoted text:
>
> The IBM public domain operating systems OS/360, DOS/360, DOS/VS, MVS,
> VM/370, and TSS/370 run under the emulator.
>
> Newer operating systems, such as OS/390, z/OS, VSE/ESA, z/VSE, VM/ESA, and
> z/VM will run, but cannot legally be used except in very limited
> circumstances for license reasons. IBM has recently marketed the latest
> operating systems to run on a z/PDT for development purposes only.
>
> --end quoted text
>
> Granted that I have no idea what Mr Dashwood's intentions might be... but
> for The Usual Suspects (COBOL '85, command-level CICS and DB2) MVS might
> work just fine.
>
> DD- Hide quoted text -

And from elsewhere on the Hercules site it transpires that the free-to-
use version of MVS is MVS 3.8. When I looked at doing this way back
when, MVS 3.8 was already a Granddaddy.
From: Anonymous on
In article <f28d7cf0-3f40-46bc-9315-e6b1cc6e0d28(a)15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Mar 26, 3:51?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article
><686a67d1-8659-4d75-a3c4-7558fd3f3...(a)k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>> Alistair ?<alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> >On Mar 26, 2:39?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:

[snip]

>> >IIRC, when I last looked at the Hercules system, it produced an
>> >emulation of a MVS system that was well out of date as it used free-to-
>> >use software.
>>
>> From the first of the two URLs:
>>
>> --begin quoted text:
>>
>> The IBM public domain operating systems OS/360, DOS/360, DOS/VS, MVS,
>> VM/370, and TSS/370 run under the emulator.
>>
>> Newer operating systems, such as OS/390, z/OS, VSE/ESA, z/VSE, VM/ESA, and
>> z/VM will run, but cannot legally be used except in very limited
>> circumstances for license reasons. IBM has recently marketed the latest
>> operating systems to run on a z/PDT for development purposes only.
>>
>> --end quoted text
>>
>> Granted that I have no idea what Mr Dashwood's intentions might be... but
>> for The Usual Suspects (COBOL '85, command-level CICS and DB2) MVS might
>> work just fine.
>
>And from elsewhere on the Hercules site it transpires that the free-to-
>use version of MVS is MVS 3.8. When I looked at doing this way back
>when, MVS 3.8 was already a Granddaddy.

Was it incapable of running The Usual Suspects?

DD

From: Alistair on
On Mar 26, 4:17 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <f28d7cf0-3f40-46bc-9315-e6b1cc6e0...(a)15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Alistair  <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >On Mar 26, 3:51?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> >> In article
> ><686a67d1-8659-4d75-a3c4-7558fd3f3...(a)k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>
> [snip]

> >> From the first of the two URLs:
>
> >> --begin quoted text:
>
> >> The IBM public domain operating systems OS/360, DOS/360, DOS/VS, MVS,
> >> VM/370, and TSS/370 run under the emulator.
>
> >> Newer operating systems, such as OS/390, z/OS, VSE/ESA, z/VSE, VM/ESA, and
> >> z/VM will run, but cannot legally be used except in very limited
> >> circumstances for license reasons. IBM has recently marketed the latest
> >> operating systems to run on a z/PDT for development purposes only.
>
> >> --end quoted text
>
> >> Granted that I have no idea what Mr Dashwood's intentions might be... but
> >> for The Usual Suspects (COBOL '85, command-level CICS and DB2) MVS might
> >> work just fine.
>
> >And from elsewhere on the Hercules site it transpires that the free-to-
> >use version of MVS is MVS 3.8. When I looked at doing this way back
> >when, MVS 3.8 was already a Granddaddy.
>
> Was it incapable of running The Usual Suspects?
>
> DD- Hide quoted text -

MVS 3.8 was neither VHS nor Beta.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Oracle free to use release question
Next: Function Reverse