From: WangVS on
On Mar 28, 1:39 pm, Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 11:29 am, WangVS <tjun...(a)tjunker.com> wrote:

> > Did I mention that the Wang VS is a stack machine?  Yep... stacks,
> > push and pop instructions, linked list manipulation instructions.
> > Good stuff.
>
> While 'stack machines' may have been a novelty in the 60s and 70s it
> is unusual to find something that is not one today.

True, but the Wang VS was based closely on the IBM 360, which I
believe was not a stack machine. From its early origins in the late
1970s the Wang VS was designed with hardware and software use of
stacks clearly in mind, just as it was designed to be interactive.

TJ
From: WangVS on
On Mar 30, 6:46 am, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:

> It never occurred to me to call a new screen a 'full screen popup', it
> was... a new screen.
>
> DD

When a subordinate screen is presented, say to offer a picklist of
valid values for a field on a superior screen, it could be called a
popup because it pops up and after a selection is made, returns to the
original screen. I wouldn't distinguish much between such a popup
that cleverly uses only part of the screen and one which uses the
entire screen. They are functionally the same.

TJ
From: Kerry Liles on
"WangVS" <wangvs(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 28, 1:39 pm, Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 11:29 am, WangVS <tjun...(a)tjunker.com> wrote:

> > Did I mention that the Wang VS is a stack machine? Yep... stacks,
> > push and pop instructions, linked list manipulation instructions.
> > Good stuff.
>
> While 'stack machines' may have been a novelty in the 60s and 70s it
> is unusual to find something that is not one today.

True, but the Wang VS was based closely on the IBM 360, which I
believe was not a stack machine. From its early origins in the late
1970s the Wang VS was designed with hardware and software use of
stacks clearly in mind, just as it was designed to be interactive.

TJ

Indeed, the /360 (and later machines like the /370 etc) were not stack
machines per se. However, many of us implemented "stacks" in software at the
first opportunity... I think 'push' and 'pop' macros were the first ones I
wrote in /360 assembler... First the tools, then the applications.

From: WangVS on
On Mar 30, 6:46 am, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:

> It never occurred to me to call a new screen a 'full screen popup', it
> was... a new screen.
>
> DD

Further, in Wang PACE, the 4GL database and application development
package, picklists are well supported but are always full screen. In
a simple example a table of States and their 2-letter codes would be a
parent of a Customer table. In the Customer data entry screenset I
would create a PICK function key on all the screens that show the
Customer address and the State field. Pressing the PICK key would
navigate to a State pick list screen showing all the States and their
codes. Placing the highlight on the desired State line and pressing
Enter would return to the modifiable Customer data entry screen and
plug in the State code, possible with full name of the State. That's
a popup screen instead of a little popup window within the screen.
The PACE designers chose to support this using full screens.

TJ
From: WangVS on
Richard fully understands the points I have been trying to make about
the Wang VS OS environment being a fully multitasking environment that
nicely manages resources for hundreds of concurrent tasks sharing
access to the key business files. It's a full-fledged multiuser OS.
Many such existed while MS took 10-15 years to rediscover OS
technology and finally developed NT using a crew from DEC.

TJ

On Mar 30, 9:25 pm, Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
> [...]
> > hardly surprising that Object Oriented Programming is ideally suited for
> > this type of  process.
>
> > Personally, I prefer to have a bunch of threads all instantiating objects
> > they need and working to immediately handle events as they occur, rather
> > than a single monolithic process that churns through the steps in a process
> > serially. But that's just me.

> > > The ugliness of CGI-like state difficulties.  No mechanisms are needed
> > > to keep track of state in a Wang COBOL program because the program
> > > utterly determines which screens to present and how to process what
> > > returns from them.  Any state information is embodied in the program
> > > flow and in local variables.
>
> > But it ISN'T difficult to keep track of state (whether in CGI or CICS). Like
> > everything else it is simply an acquired skill. When you are familiar and
> > comfortable with doing it, you don't consider it difficult. I can't see any
> > difference between storing the state of a Web based process in session
> > variables (or server side in a C# code-behind) and storing similar
> > information in local variables in a COBOL program.

> > > In the Wang environment a batch job is not one that is much too long
> > > to be interactive; it is one that has no interactive requirements,
> > > such as a report, and that is scheduled for slack times instead of
> > > being run by an interactive user.

> > Michael is right on the button here. (Funny, he often is... :-))
>
> > > The Wang VS system uses block mode workstations, although there are
> > > several asynchronous character interfaces that emulate the block
> > > mode.  Transactions are initiated by the program, not the user.  I
> > > think that is the essential difference between the CICS model and the
> > > Wang model.
>
> > And which is better is very arguable. As we can see :-)
>
> > I don't think it really matters which is "better" as long as you get the
> > results you are seeking.
>
> > I've been working for years now with Objects in event driven environments. I
> > LIKE not having control as I would in a procedural environment. There is a
> > challenge in responding to events as they happen (even or especially, when
> > lots of them happen at once) and there is satisfaction in coping with
> > complex interactions using simple objects that can create themselves when
> > they are needed, and destroy themselves when they are not. It's fun :-)..
>
> > Obviously, these are two different paradigms. I don't think the argument has
> > to be about which is "better" (and the World has voted with its feet anyway;
> > it would be very hard to sell anything that doesn't accommodate Objects, in
> > today's world), as long as they each achieve the results that whoever owns
> > them is paying for.
>
> > Nevertheless, I still believe the future is in Objects and Layers.
>
> > Pete.
>
> > --
> > "I used to write COBOL...now I can do anything."

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Oracle free to use release question
Next: Function Reverse