From: Pete Dashwood on
docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> In article <813rpqFno8U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I am thinking about offering some products to mainframe sites, but
>> the thing that stops me currently is that I don't have easy access
>> to an IBM mainframe... I could buy time, but if I don't have a
>> prospective client it is a risk. I could look for a partnership with
>> someone running a mainframe, but I haven't really thought through
>> that option yet, and it would need to be attractive and fair to both
>> parties. A solution might be to get something that does a faithful
>> emulation. (Obviously, I'm not going to buy an IBM mainframe on
>> spec... :-))
>
> For research:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_emulator
>
> For downloads:
>
> http://www.hercules-390.org/
>
> DD

Thanks Doc, I'll investigate that. It looks like it could be what I need.

Cheers,

Pete.

From: Pete Dashwood on
Alistair wrote:
> On Mar 26, 4:17 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article
>> <f28d7cf0-3f40-46bc-9315-e6b1cc6e0...(a)15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> Alistair <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> <686a67d1-8659-4d75-a3c4-7558fd3f3...(a)k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> [snip]
>>

> MVS 3.8 was neither VHS nor Beta.

Ah, those were the days... I have retained my faithful VCR and play
Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, and Harry Enfield tapes occasionally when in
need of some witty light relief :-). Compared to flat screen HD which is
what I'm normally viewing the quality is appalling, but it just goes to show
that content usually trumps form, even though form is important.

Anyway, getting back to Hercules (wasn't that Steptoe's horse?)...

I appreciate the contributions from both of you. I understand your
reservations, Alistair, and I also see Doc's point about usual suspects. I
have been out of the mainframe arena for so long now, I'm not sure how
relevant the usual supects still are, but I suspect many people are still
using them under modern versions of the OS.

At this stage, I'm not sure on what I would be offering or where my focus
should be so it is hard to tell whether Hercules would be OK or not. But at
least I am now aware of the option (and some possible pitfalls with it) so I
am much better informed.

Again, thanks to both of you.

Pete.

From: Anonymous on
In article <fdda974d-c39e-458e-ae97-a0e3b2971ce5(a)v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Mar 26, 4:17?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article <f28d7cf0-3f40-46bc-9315-e6b1cc6e0...(a)15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
>> Alistair ?<alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> >On Mar 26, 3:51?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:

[snip]

>> >And from elsewhere on the Hercules site it transpires that the free-to-
>> >use version of MVS is MVS 3.8. When I looked at doing this way back
>> >when, MVS 3.8 was already a Granddaddy.
>>
>> Was it incapable of running The Usual Suspects?
>>

>MVS 3.8 was neither VHS nor Beta.

According to http://cbttape.org/~jmorrison/mvs38j/ :

--begin quoted text:

MVS 3.8J is the final public domain version of IBM's OS/370 MVS operating
system, released in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It runs with 24-bit
addressability so it can only address 16MB of virtual storage. It only
supports 3 hexadecimal digit I/O addresses. Aside from those limitations,
it has quite a lot in common with today's OS/390 and z/OS systems and can
still perform useful work.

--end quoted text

I recall doing a fair amount of work on such machines that kept a goodly
amount of commerce moving.

DD

From: Anonymous on
In article <814v7bFjnmU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

[snip]

>At this stage, I'm not sure on what I would be offering or where my focus
>should be so it is hard to tell whether Hercules would be OK or not. But at
>least I am now aware of the option (and some possible pitfalls with it) so I
>am much better informed.
>
>Again, thanks to both of you.

You're quite welcome, from at least one of us, and supplied with the usual
admonition of 'pass it along when you can.'

DD

From: Anonymous on
In article <814uhhFgfmU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> In article <813rpqFno8U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>> Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

[snip]

>>> A solution might be to get something that does a faithful
>>> emulation. (Obviously, I'm not going to buy an IBM mainframe on
>>> spec... :-))
>>
>> For research:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_emulator
>>
>> For downloads:
>>
>> http://www.hercules-390.org/
>>
>> DD
>
>Thanks Doc, I'll investigate that. It looks like it could be what I need.

Best of hopes that the path proves fruitful.

DD

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Oracle free to use release question
Next: Function Reverse