From: Ed McGettigan on
On Sep 9, 7:46 am, Telenochek <elet.mir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I would prefer to avoid bringing all the ports to top level.
>
> I should be able to LOC constrain any internal signal of choice?

IMHO not bring your IO to the level is a mistake for the following
reasons

- Signals that aren't used or driven are usually removed from the
design during synthesis
- Synthesis won't "know" to insert IO buffers on these nets requiring
the IO buffers to be instantiated in the HDL
- System level simulation won't be possible as the IOs are not
accessible

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc.
From: Telenochek on
Not really helpful with the original question, unfortunately.

Xilinx MIG (memory interface generator) hides I/Os deep in the design
hierarchy.
Too bad I don't have access to the code to see what the proper syntax
is.

"System level simulation won't be possible as the IOs are not
accessible"
Sorry to correct you here, but attaching SDRAM simulation models to
dedicated internal controller blocks is even easier than to the top
level.

Finally, making the design internal makes it much more portable, as
you can simply pass the controller interface with instantiated I/O
buffers and I/O to one of your engineers, and they never have to do
anything but work with the interface.

BTW, Xilinx realized recently that this is much more advantageous from
hardware standpoint than the ancient top level driven designs: the
latest ISE 10 allows multiple .ucf files for this reason.

From: Ed McGettigan on
On Sep 9, 10:35 pm, Telenochek <elet.mir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Not really helpful with the original question, unfortunately.
>
> Xilinx MIG (memory interface generator) hides I/Os deep in the design
> hierarchy.
> Too bad I don't have access to the code to see what the proper syntax
> is.
>
> "System level simulation won't be possible as the IOs are not
> accessible"
> Sorry to correct you here, but attaching SDRAM simulation models to
> dedicated internal controller blocks is even easier than to the top
> level.
>
> Finally, making the design internal makes it much more portable, as
> you can simply pass the controller interface with instantiated I/O
> buffers and I/O to one of your engineers, and they never have to do
> anything but work with the interface.
>
> BTW, Xilinx realized recently that this is much more advantageous from
> hardware standpoint than the ancient top level driven designs: the
> latest ISE 10 allows multiple .ucf files for this reason.

Actually, I think that the suggestion to bring the IO ports to the top
level is helpful to your orginal question as it appears that the net
name on the IO port of the IOBUF is different than you expected it to
be and this would solve the problem.

One addition suggestion, since you don't want to propogate the signal
then try adding the LOC to the instance name which likely has not
changed.

INST "eight_chan_gen/u1/external_sdram/U1/IOBUF_inst0" LOC = "A4";

With respect to your comments on the MIG output, the physical level
interface is presented on the core interface with the intent that nets
are connected to the top level ports in the design. This is shown in
all of the design examples.

I have no idea how "attaching SDRAM simulation models to the dedicated
internal memory blocks" is easier. Please elaborate on why this is
easier to use and maintain between simulation and synthesis.

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc.