From: Accomac on
I have tried deleting the .toc file and the name for the person in the
Eudora folder but that didn't help. I added a new address to the
nickname but when I enter the nick, it still comes up with the 2 older
variants of the old addresses.

I also looked in the NNDBASE.NNT file and I see the new address for
this person and not the other two that show in the address bar when I
compose an email.

Where is Eudora finding this information and how do I get rid of it? I
have rebooted after all these changes and looked in the .ini file to
no avail.

OS here is XP Pro SP3

Thanks to all in advance,

Accomac
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/3/2010 10:42 AM, Accomac wrote:

> I have tried deleting the .toc file and the name for the person in the
> Eudora folder but that didn't help. I added a new address to the
> nickname but when I enter the nick, it still comes up with the 2 older
> variants of the old addresses.
>
> I also looked in the NNDBASE.NNT file and I see the new address for
> this person and not the other two that show in the address bar when I
> compose an email.
>
> Where is Eudora finding this information and how do I get rid of it?

In which address book -- default address book or an additional address book?

Default address book files are "nndbase.*" in Eudora's main "Data" folder
(make sure you've found the correct path, as shown in "Help" > "About");
any other address book files are in the "Nickname" subfolder under that.

The setting for the following "Miscellaneous" option determines filename suffixes:
[ ] Hide address books from simple viruses

When checked, the name suffix for all address book text files is ".nnt";
when unchecked, the name suffix for the text files is ".txt"

Eudora may need to be restarted to make any option change take effect
(during which it should rename the text files by itself).

If that option is turned on, "Eudora address book" will not appear
in Eudora's "Directory Services" tool window (i.e. the address book
will even be hidden from this part of Eudora :)

You can, as you know, close Eudora and then delete ".toc" files for address books,
which Eudora will then automatically regenerate next time without losing info
(whereas deleting ".toc" files for mailboxes _will_ lose some mailbox info)

Finally, Eudora address book files are simple, readable text files,
which you can open and inspect in Notepad or any "plain text" editor.

"Address book format"
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1353hq.html

To be updatable, the files must of course be writable.

If Eudora is installed on Windows 7 or Vista,
and if you are trying to maintain "Data" under "Program Files"
(a completely obsolete practice ever since Windows 2000) then
all your "Data" files will likely become "virtualized" (re-directed),
which may also lead to peculiar phenomena of the sort you describe:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/announcement.php?a=13

P.S. -- why not take advantage of a free upgrade to "ultimate" Eudora version 7.1?
http://www.eudora.com/download/

From: Accomac on
On Jun 3, 6:35 pm, John H Meyers <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
> On 6/3/2010 10:42 AM, Accomac wrote:

> In which address book -- default address book or an additional address book?

Hi John,

I am using the default address book.

What happens now is that when I type the nickname, I am getting 3
addresses to choose from. Only one of which is a valid one. In spite
of all you thoughtfully typed, I can't see anywhere Eudora would find
the OLD 'Comcast' address information.

I tried to delete it when it shows up after the nickname but that
doesn't work of course. At least it's seeing the new correct address
but I'd love to have the other two gone.

Regards,

Accomac
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/3/2010 6:46 PM, Accomac wrote:

> I am using the default address book.
>
> What happens now is that when I type the nickname, I am getting 3
> addresses to choose from. Only one of which is a valid one. In spite
> of all you thoughtfully typed, I can't see anywhere Eudora would find
> the OLD 'Comcast' address information.
>
> I tried to delete it when it shows up after the nickname but that
> doesn't work of course. At least it's seeing the new correct address
> but I'd love to have the other two gone.

The only places where Eudora picks up address book info
is from address book files, and everything about where those files are
(and how you can look right into the underlying text files themselves)
has already been covered, including special Windows 7 / Vista issues.

However, this time you've provided a new clue:
"when I type the nickname..."

Depending on your "Auto-completion" option settings,
when you start _typing_ into outgoing "recipient" fields (To, Cc, Bcc),
things which appear for "auto-completion"
may come from any of those elected sources,
including your "history file" (History.lst)

You don't have to even "go around" Eudora
to edit that file to remove anything,
just press "Delete" when any unwanted "history" item is highlighted.

If this turns out to solve the mystery,
I hope it serves as an inspiration for all who want problems solved,
to describe as fully as possible what's going on,
to avoid long sailings all the way around Cape Horn,
when the Panama Canal could vastly shorten the journey :)

From: Accomac on
On Jun 3, 8:57 pm, John H Meyers <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

> The only places where Eudora picks up address book info
> is from address book files, and everything about where those files are
> (and how you can look right into the underlying text files themselves)
> has already been covered, including special Windows 7 / Vista issues.
>
> However, this time you've provided a new clue:
> "when I type the nickname..."

<snip>

John,

That solved the problem I was having, thank you. I am sorry that in my
ORIGINAL post the topic of my post didn't reveal what the problem was
nor did the line that said:

"I added a new address to the
nickname but when I enter the nick, it still comes up with the 2 older
variants of the old addresses."

I don't see how "when I type the nickname" is so much more concise
than "when I enter the nick."

Irrespective of the semantics you solved the problem and I appreciate
it.

Regards,

Accomac