From: Walt Bilofsky on
Just started up Turbo Tax Deluxe 2009. Its first bit of "tax advice"
was to upgrade to Premier for more help with my investments. Here's
an edited version of More Details:

"TurboTax Premier gives you extra guidance on all your investments,
including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, employee stock options, rental
properties, and more.
- Helps calculate your gains and losses and keeps track of those that
carryover year after year
- Saves you time by downloading your investment info directly from
participating financial institutions ..."

But don't I already have this functionality in Deluxe?

In Deluxe, my 2009 Capital Loss Carryover worksheet comes up fine, and
it has File | Import | From Financial Partner.

So - do I get more in these two functions if I pay an additional $30
for Premier?

Or is Intuit trying to snooker customers into upgrading to get
functionality they already have?
From: Walt Bilofsky on
Walt Bilofsky <bilofsky(a)toolworks.com> wrote:

>Just started up Turbo Tax Deluxe 2009. Its first bit of "tax advice"
>was to upgrade to Premier for more help with my investments. Here's
>an edited version of More Details:
>
>"TurboTax Premier gives you extra guidance on all your investments,
>including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, employee stock options, rental
>properties, and more.
>- Helps calculate your gains and losses and keeps track of those that
>carryover year after year
>- Saves you time by downloading your investment info directly from
>participating financial institutions ..."
>
>But don't I already have this functionality in Deluxe?
>
>In Deluxe, my 2009 Capital Loss Carryover worksheet comes up fine, and
>it has File | Import | From Financial Partner.
>
>So - do I get more in these two functions if I pay an additional $30
>for Premier?
>
>Or is Intuit trying to snooker customers into upgrading to get
>functionality they already have?

Update from online chat with Turbo Tax support:

Walt: ... what does Premier do, with loss carryover and downloading
from financial institutions, that Deluxe does not already do?

02_Dinesh Raj S: Walt for your kind information if you have any rental
property, capital investments you have to go with the turbo tax
premier product.

Walt: Why do I need Premier for capital investments? Doesn't Deluxe
download my investment information from financial partners?

02_Dinesh Raj S: No Walt.

So I got off the chat, fired up Turbo Tax 2009 Deluxe, and downloaded
my 1099-INT, 1099-DIV and stock sales from one of my financial
partners, just like Dinesh Raj said Deluxe couldn't do.

Is Intuit engaging in fraud here?
From: Oilcan on
So - do I get more in these two functions if I pay an additional $30
for Premier?

All versions of the product allow you to complete a Tax return. The
main difference is the amount of help Premier gives you verses Deluxe in
the form of Help Guides and wizards. If you don't have a complicated
Tax Return you probably do not need Premier.

Or is Intuit trying to snooker customers into upgrading to get
functionality they already have?

They are being a sales person. You decide if you need the additional
Help Guides and wizards or you can go directly to the form and manually
enter everything like people use to do before computers on by using
Paper Forms. Ah, the good old days!

From: Walt Bilofsky on
But when Intuit gives "Saves you time by downloading your investment
info directly from participating financial institutions" as a reason
for upgrading from Deluxe to Premier - and Deluxe already does this -
doesn't that cross the line from salesmanship into dishonesty?

From: ps56k on
I have used the Basic desktop version for years,
and it has all the functionality I need....
http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare.jsp

I enter everythng manually,
as one year I tried the Import from Quicken,
and the numbers were messed up with no way to correct them.
SO - I just go thru my 1099's and enter the line items manually

The Deluixe & Premier give you more "assistance" in finding deductions, etc.