From: Jim Higgins on
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 22:07:02 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 20:53:30 -0600:
>
>> There was a post which said
>> "... look at the count/undeleted/size at the bottom ..."
>
>Now that I look back, what you earlier said, on Feb 6, was:
>
>> How verified:
>> Start Eudora - Inbox Mailbox Size is ../..K/0K
>> Check Mail - one of several msgs was sent to Junk by the filter.
>> Inbox Mailbox Size wasted space is still 0K.
>
>I mistakenly interpreted that as if you meant
>that the mailbox was left empty of any messages,
>which would in all cases "compact" it.
>
>Well, if the "..K" is large enough
>that one junked message could not increase its wasted space
>to 50% of total space, then you are right -- the junked messages
>could not have been appended to "In" before being junked,
>and whoever says they first go to "In" would appear to be wrong.

Looking at summary numbers does not substitute for looking at the
actual content of the IN.MBX file after receiving mail that has been
transferred automatically to other mailboxes. By doing the latter I
have confirmed that incoming filtered mail - both mail filtered by
user-specified filters as well as spam caught by the inbuilt spam
filter - all go thru the IN.MBX. You cannot confirm this on an empty
IN.MBX or on an IN.MBX whose slack space exceeds the compression
threshold because these will be compressed automatically, leaving no
evidence to inspect for.

You need to set up a test in which the IN.MBX never contains enough
slack space to force automatic compression. Doing so will reveal that
EVERYTHING incoming is first delivered to IN.MBX before being filtered
and possibly sent elsewhere. (Yes, it lands somewhere else before
IN.MBX, but that's an entirely separate and unrelated issue.)
--
Please don't be a "Help Vampire"
http://slash7.com/pages/vampires