From: Leif Bloomquist on
"Wolfgang Moser" <wnhp(a)d81.de.invalid> wrote in message

> <sigh> I'm struggling on which would be the best
> encoding strategy for such type-ins.

Although it would be a lot longer text-wise, I think a series of decimal or
hexadecimal bytes in DATA statements separated by commas would be much
easier to type in. Those of us who subscribed to Ahoy!, Run, Gazette etc
will be used to such things ;-)

Some magazines even recommended reading the listings out loud into a tape
recorder first, then playing it back while you typed. This would work much
better with decimal "one thirty-four, twenty-five..." or hexadecimal
"e-seven, b-f, eight-a..." (sounds like a bingo game!). My brother and I
even read out listings while the other typed sometimes.

I don't think "capital o, small g, six two five eight, slash, period, dash,
seven..." would be as easy to follow.

Regards,
Leif

From: Leif Bloomquist on
"MagerValp" <MagerValp(a)cling.gu.se> wrote in message

> Maybe we should hold a competition? Who can write the smallest basic
> program that copies the 684 bytes of minislave to $cc00? :) Data lines

10 FORT =0TO683:POKE52224+T,PEEK(1024+T):NEXT
20 SYS52224

And publish it along with a screenshot of the values as they appear in
screen memory ;-) 684 bytes leaves you plenty of room at the bottom of the
screen to type RUN.

It wouldn't be much harder to type in than your encoded version ;-P

-Leif

--
Leif Bloomquist
leif(at)schemafactor(dot)com

"Once secure, saturate the area with plasma mortars and spicy barbecue
sauce."

From: Wolfgang Moser on
Per,

MagerValp schrieb:
> Any takers? :)

Something that took my attention, too, were
the two lines with the bit shift quirks done
in BASIC. I had the feeling that doing
floating point math would a bit more "type-
in-efficient".

Womo

[...]
100 n=n+1 : print n : c=c+n : read a$
110 if a$<>"end" then read ck: goto 140
120 print "poke";a-5;"to";a-2;"to set";
130 print " ip, sys";sa;"to start": end
140 for i=1 to len(a$) step 4
150 q$=mid$(a$,i,4) : gosub 200
160 a=a+3 : next
170 if c=ck then 100
180 print"checksum error" : end
200 v=0 : for k=1 to 4
210 q=asc(mid$(q$,k,1)): gosub 300
220 v=v*64 + q: next
230 for k=2 to 0 step -1
240 q=v : v=v/256 : q=q-256*int(v)
250 poke a+k,q: c=(c+q) and 255: next
260 return
300 if q=58 then q=23 : return
310 if q=45 then q=52 : return
320 if q>192 then q=q-155 : return
330 if q>64 then q=q-53 : return
340 q=q-46 : return
From: MagerValp on

LB> Although it would be a lot longer text-wise, I think a series of
LB> decimal or hexadecimal bytes in DATA statements separated by
LB> commas would be much easier to type in. Those of us who subscribed
LB> to Ahoy!, Run, Gazette etc will be used to such things ;-)

Hex bytes separated by commas gives you 10+1 bytes per line. That's a
full 65 lines of data to type in...

--
_|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
From: MagerValp on

LB> It wouldn't be much harder to type in than your encoded version ;-P

:P