From: MagerValp on

WM> How about reliability? From eight years of testing The Star
WM> Commander I really know that it is mature regarding error handling
WM> and "emulation" of simple DOS errors. If cabling and timing is Ok,
WM> there hardly are some disks that let SC struggle.

WarpCopy first does a fast read that dumps the whole disk in 22
seconds. If any problem sectors are found, it goes back and reads the
sectors using plain job codes. As long as the disks don't use any
protection it should be fine. If the disk won't transfer cleanly,
it'll tell you so (red or yellow sectors on the display).

For nasty protected stuff and corrupt disks you still need a parallel
copier.

--
___ . . . . . + . . o
_|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hello Per, Leif,

[WarpCopy64]
> WM> How about reliability? From eight years of testing The Star
>
> WarpCopy first does a fast read that dumps the whole disk in 22
> seconds. If any problem sectors are found, it goes back and reads the
> sectors using plain job codes. As long as the disks don't use any

ah well, I see, you convinced me that WarpCopy64
at least implements an error handling strategy
and therefore _expects_ malfunctioning disks and
knows to apply alternative strategies.

> protection it should be fine. If the disk won't transfer cleanly,
> it'll tell you so (red or yellow sectors on the display).

That's what I wanted to know, so it cannot happen
under normal circumstances that corrupted images
were generated without the user recognizing it.

> For nasty protected stuff and corrupt disks you still need a parallel
> copier.

Or your new draft design I would call bit-slice
copier.
Btw. the lucky owners of a 1541-II or 1541C (with
internal 1541B mainboard) disk drive, can easily
expand their drives with 16KB of RAM. Only a
32pol precision socket, a 32KB cache RAM from a
486 and the original ROM chip are needed as well
as some cables. As easy as constructing a kernal
ROM adaptor with plugging two sockets on top of
each other and fiddling two cables around...
Then again, who writes all the software for this.

Womo
From: MagerValp on

WM> That's what I wanted to know, so it cannot happen under normal
WM> circumstances that corrupted images were generated without the
WM> user recognizing it.

Yup. I'm not sure if it saves the error info in the d64 or not though.

WM> Or your new draft design I would call bit-slice copier.

Yeah... if I ever get the time to try it out.

From: Pete Rittwage on
Leif Bloomquist wrote:
> "Wolfgang Moser" <wnhp(a)d81.de.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> * Booting pure DOS or Win98
>> * Raising The Star Commander
>
> No way. For 4000 disks you definitely need WarpCopy64. WarpCopy64 can make
> a D64 of a disk in about 22 seconds, and it includes auto-naming of the
> D64s. Much, much, faster than Star Commander or opencbm. More expensive
> because you need an RR-Net, but time is money...
>
> http://www.oxyron.de/html/wc64.html

I can beat that with a raw GCR copy of the disk side (41 tracks). It
then takes less than a second to convert to D64.

With MNIB, 7 seconds is "wasted" sending the code to the drive and
getting it ready to image a disk. The actual imaging takes only 9
seconds for an entire disk side. I could make a mode where you inserted
disks one after the other and hit enter and get them in 9 seconds each.

--
-
Pete Rittwage

C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
From: Pete Rittwage on
Pete Rittwage wrote:
> Leif Bloomquist wrote:
>> "Wolfgang Moser" <wnhp(a)d81.de.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>> * Booting pure DOS or Win98
>>> * Raising The Star Commander
>>
>> No way. For 4000 disks you definitely need WarpCopy64. WarpCopy64
>> can make a D64 of a disk in about 22 seconds, and it includes
>> auto-naming of the D64s. Much, much, faster than Star Commander or
>> opencbm. More expensive because you need an RR-Net, but time is money...
>>
>> http://www.oxyron.de/html/wc64.html
>>

> I can beat that with a raw GCR copy of the disk side (41 tracks). It
> then takes less than a second to convert to D64.
>
> With MNIB, 7 seconds is "wasted" sending the code to the drive and
> getting it ready to image a disk. The actual imaging takes only 9
> seconds for an entire disk side. I could make a mode where you inserted
> disks one after the other and hit enter and get them in 9 seconds each.

This is added to the released MNIB code now. Image disk sides in less
than 10 seconds each with automatic naming and full copy protection
support. Works in plain DOS, or with cbm4win/cbm4linux and a VIA
parallel cable.

--
-
Pete Rittwage