From: Pete Rittwage on
Groepaz wrote:

> i'm asking myself though, how well does that setup handle errors? lots of
> the disks i am transfering have suffered from bad handling in the past...
> and warpcopy does quite a great job of rereading them until all sectors
> have no more (detectable) errors. i would think that with a nibbler such
> stuff (eg wrong gcr data) goes undetected into the image - something which
> i definetly dont want.

It checks for all CBM DOS errors and retries until successful. The
default is 10 tries like CBM, but you can change it to less or as many
as you want.

--
-
Pete Rittwage

C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
From: Groepaz on
Pete Rittwage wrote:

> Groepaz wrote:
>>
>> i'm asking myself though, how well does that setup handle errors? lots of
>> the disks i am transfering have suffered from bad handling in the past...
>> and warpcopy does quite a great job of rereading them until all sectors
>> have no more (detectable) errors. i would think that with a nibbler such
>> stuff (eg wrong gcr data) goes undetected into the image - something
>> which i definetly dont want.
>>

> It checks for all CBM DOS errors and retries until successful. The
> default is 10 tries like CBM, but you can change it to less or as many
> as you want.

does it also check/validate GCR bytes? thats what warpcopy does
(additionally to the cbm dos errors) and it seems to catch quite a few
errors that would/might otherwise go unnoticed.

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org
http://www.gc-linux.org/docs/yagcd.html

I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut
off by Saddam Hussein.
<George W. Bush>

From: Pete Rittwage on
Groepaz wrote:
> Pete Rittwage wrote:
>
>> Groepaz wrote:
>>> i'm asking myself though, how well does that setup handle errors? lots of
>>> the disks i am transfering have suffered from bad handling in the past...
>>> and warpcopy does quite a great job of rereading them until all sectors
>>> have no more (detectable) errors. i would think that with a nibbler such
>>> stuff (eg wrong gcr data) goes undetected into the image - something
>>> which i definetly dont want.
>>>
>> It checks for all CBM DOS errors and retries until successful. The
>> default is 10 tries like CBM, but you can change it to less or as many
>> as you want.
>
> does it also check/validate GCR bytes? thats what warpcopy does
> (additionally to the cbm dos errors) and it seems to catch quite a few
> errors that would/might otherwise go unnoticed.

Do you mean does it check for illegal GCR? Yes. The CBM rolling XOR
thing is weak, but it's the only thing we have to go on... :)

-
Pete Rittwage
http://rittwage.com

C64 Preservation Project