From: Tom Serface on
Yes, I think the bigger problem is that sometime the IDE goes into "Not
responding" mode often for several minutes. I think part of my problem is
that I use VPN to connect to our corporate system, but it is still annoying.
It seems to work better if I turn off the VSS plug-in, but there are times,
like displaying this wizard where it seems to take forever to pop up. If it
happened instantly it would be infinitely more useful. As it is I typically
add new variables by hand these days (not that I wouldn't like ClassWizard
to do it instead).

David is correct though, the interface is not the problem. The problem is
the IDE is so stinking slow to pop up the window (at least in my case).

<rant mode = off>

Tom

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I have the same problem, which is why I now use Tom's approach of hand-editing variables
into my source code.
joe

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:50:07 +0100, Norbert Unterberg <nunterberg(a)newsgroups.nospam>
wrote:

>David Ching schrieb:
>> "David Wilkinson" <no-reply(a)effisols.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, but you only have to do it once. It's not like the constant annoyance
>>> of fighting the "Add Control Variable" wizard in the "new" IDE.
>>>

>> I've never understood the outcry about that. It's no big deal. You add one
>> variable, type Alt+W 2 to go back to the dialog window, select the next
>> control, and add it.
>
>Well, my problem is that it takes up to 10 minutes to show that wizard, and
>nobody can explain why.
>
>Norbert
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
If I have an MSDN CD/DVD in my drive, I will hear it "spin up" each time I try to launch
the wizard. How anyone could POSSIBLY think that it made sense to spin up a CD/DVD to
launch a simple dialog escapes me. Therefore, it is a fundamental error in the
implementation of the dialog!
joe

From: Giovanni Dicanio on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>I have the same problem, which is why I now use Tom's approach of
>hand-editing variables
> into my source code.

> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:50:07 +0100, Norbert Unterberg
> <nunterberg(a)newsgroups.nospam>
> wrote:
[...]
>>Well, my problem is that it takes up to 10 minutes to show that wizard,
>>and
>>nobody can explain why.

I'm curious and so I Spy++ed the wizard of VS.NET and 2008.

The class of the wizard window is a "Internet Explorer_Server", and I think
that the wizard code is available in some Javascript form in a VS
installation subdirectory, with some other HTML stuff. So, I think that
modern (slow...) VS wizards are HTML/DHTML based.

Instead, I think that VC6 wizards were MFC code compiled in binary form, so
they were very *fast*: no embedded Internet Explorer component, no HTML, no
DHTML, no Javascript, instead just a fast binary compiled piece of MFC code
(in fact, VC6 IDE was written in MFC - I recall the tip-of-the-day: "We used
that before you: Visual C++ 6 is written in Visual C++ with MFC" - or
something like that).

I think that if the wizards woule be reimplemented and built in binary
compiled code, they will be faster.

Giovanni

From: David Ching on
"Norbert Unterberg" <nunterberg(a)newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message

> Well, my problem is that it takes up to 10 minutes to show that wizard,
> and nobody can explain why.

Hmm, it pops up quickly for me. My projects are small, however.

-- David

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: CDhtmlDialog Charset Problem