From: Tom Serface on
So far as I can see same as C++ using function calls:

http://www.java2s.com/Code/CSharp/File-Stream/ConvertUTF8andASCIIencodedbytesbacktoUTF16encodedstring.htm

I agree about CString. That is one class that should make it's way into
standard C++ imo.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
Hi Joe,

This is turning into a C# support forum :o)

I'm working with C# in ASP.NET and I use a globalresources.resx file
paradigm and I can do something like:

String cs = Resources.GlobalResources.MyString;

Which will grab the string from whichever culture file is active (language).
I find this to be even handier than trying to use LoadString() and having to
load the resource DLL's etc. Since my application is running in a browser I
can also just change my preferred language in the browser settings to switch
between languages. Very handy for testing.

I think ToString() is handy, but I seldom use it since it except with
numbers since it ignores the translation mechanism.

From: Giovanni Dicanio on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> By the way, does C# have a way to convert to UTF-8 and back?

I've not done that conversion using C#, but a Google search gives that
result I find interesting:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.text.encoding.utf8.aspx

Giovanni

From: David Ching on
"David Wilkinson" <no-reply(a)effisols.com> wrote in message
> Yes, but you only have to do it once. It's not like the constant annoyance
> of fighting the "Add Control Variable" wizard in the "new" IDE.

I've never understood the outcry about that. It's no big deal. You add one
variable, type Alt+W 2 to go back to the dialog window, select the next
control, and add it.

My beef with the wizard is it adds stupid include files like afxcmn.h and
doesn't attempt to group control variables together. I'm constantly
cleaning up after it.

But I wouldn't go back to VC6. If for no other reason that I always forget
the name of the UNICODE entrypoint that you have to put into the linker
dialog because the wrong one is used by default.

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I have hopes for VS2008+1. We might see some improvements if the rumors I've heard on
this newsgroup are true. Perhaps we might even learn stuff at the MVP Summit that is
public (most of it, I'm sure, will be NDA).
joe

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:44:06 -0700, "David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

>"David Wilkinson" <no-reply(a)effisols.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, but you only have to do it once. It's not like the constant annoyance
>> of fighting the "Add Control Variable" wizard in the "new" IDE.
>>

>I've never understood the outcry about that. It's no big deal. You add one
>variable, type Alt+W 2 to go back to the dialog window, select the next
>control, and add it.
>
>My beef with the wizard is it adds stupid include files like afxcmn.h and
>doesn't attempt to group control variables together. I'm constantly
>cleaning up after it.
>
>But I wouldn't go back to VC6. If for no other reason that I always forget
>the name of the UNICODE entrypoint that you have to put into the linker
>dialog because the wrong one is used by default.
>
>-- David

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com