From: Tom Serface on
I'm not sure what triggers it to be slow. To be fair it sometimes pops up
pretty quickly, but more times than not it takes 30 seconds or so which
seems like an eternity in programming time.

Tom

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:05:50 +0100, "Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanni.dicanio(a)invalid.com>
wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>I have the same problem, which is why I now use Tom's approach of
>>hand-editing variables
>> into my source code.
>
>> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:50:07 +0100, Norbert Unterberg
>> <nunterberg(a)newsgroups.nospam>
>> wrote:
>[...]
>>>Well, my problem is that it takes up to 10 minutes to show that wizard,
>>>and
>>>nobody can explain why.
>
>I'm curious and so I Spy++ed the wizard of VS.NET and 2008.
>
>The class of the wizard window is a "Internet Explorer_Server", and I think
>that the wizard code is available in some Javascript form in a VS
>installation subdirectory, with some other HTML stuff. So, I think that
>modern (slow...) VS wizards are HTML/DHTML based.
****
Yes. Let's see: I have a design decision to make. Should I use a powerful and flexible
mechanism that is abysmally slow, or a more rigid mechanism that is nearly instantaneous.
Hmmm... tough decision....let's see...the fancy one annoys users beyond tolerance, the
fast one merely works, but isn't cool...oh, yes, easy! Let's use the COOL solution...
****

>Instead, I think that VC6 wizards were MFC code compiled in binary form, so
>they were very *fast*: no embedded Internet Explorer component, no HTML, no
>DHTML, no Javascript, instead just a fast binary compiled piece of MFC code
>(in fact, VC6 IDE was written in MFC - I recall the tip-of-the-day: "We used
>that before you: Visual C++ 6 is written in Visual C++ with MFC" - or
>something like that).
>
>I think that if the wizards woule be reimplemented and built in binary
>compiled code, they will be faster.
****
Actually, I don't see why DHTML needs to be slow; I think it is a failure of the
implementation that causes this.
joe

****

>Giovanni

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
30 seconds-1 minute for me, PER VARIABLE. It isn't some "startup transient" the first
time it launches after starting VS.

Of course, I have lots of drives on my machine, I'm on a network with a couple file
servers and nine machines total (sometimes 11 if both laptops are connected), and I've
asked if anyone who is having these problems is working in a single-user-single-machine
environment, but have no answers.

But why it has to spin up CDs to launch a dialog is a mystery that I cannot account for
(other than simple incompetence; the CDs are NOT in my search path, for example)
joe

From: Tom Serface on
I'm working on a simple single user machine (2 XEON GHz processors). It
should certainly be faster than 30 seconds. To be fair, every once in a
while it takes on a couple of seconds, but most of the time it takes longer.
It acts like it's waiting for something to timeout. Maybe I should put a CD
in the drive and see if that makes it faster.

Tom

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> 30 seconds-1 minute for me, PER VARIABLE. It isn't some "startup
> transient" the first
> time it launches after starting VS.
>
> Of course, I have lots of drives on my machine, I'm on a network with a
> couple file
> servers and nine machines total (sometimes 11 if both laptops are
> connected), and I've
> asked if anyone who is having these problems is working in a
> single-user-single-machine
> environment, but have no answers.
>
> But why it has to spin up CDs to launch a dialog is a mystery that I
> cannot account for
> (other than simple incompetence; the CDs are NOT in my search path, for
> example)
> joe
>
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:27:29 -0700, "Tom Serface"
> <tom.nospam(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure what triggers it to be slow. To be fair it sometimes pops up
>>pretty quickly, but more times than not it takes 30 seconds or so which
>>seems like an eternity in programming time.
>>
>>Tom

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: CDhtmlDialog Charset Problem