From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> Out in the large arena world, there is hardly ANY system that does not use
> line arrays (

I never said that the line array is not the predominant system touring
today, but it is doing so for other reasons than how good they sound
they are easier to handle, use less man power, less truck, less skill to
hang PROPERLY
all this comes down to a cheaper rig , cheaper to own, cheaper to use ,
cheaper to deploy
but they still don't sound natural
not anymore than a lightbulb looks like natural light
George

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Krooburg Science wrote:
>><snipped> For the record, I OWN a trap system. It works fine for the
>>personal
>> stuff I do which is small stuff. But I've also tech and deployed line
>> sources for big and medium shows, companies and tours for over a
>> decade now. They're fantastic. If I could afford one of these "cheap"
>> systems, you bet I'd have one - or even several.
>> <more snip>
>
> The Peavey Versarray:
> http://www.peavey.com/products/versarray/index.cfm
> is actually a decent sounding line array system that won't cost
> $1,000,000. I believe the Ozz Fest used it on the second or third stage, &
> there are a large number of opinions of the system posted on
> prosoundweb.com
>
> When I heard that I had to mix on a Peavey system, I was worried, but I
> was pleasantly surprised. Even George might tell you it sounded decent; he
> saw a rehearsal & show I mixed on the Versarray. Like George, I am a Meyer
> fan; and unlike George, I am a line array fan. I've mixed on Meyer
>
> I've mixed on Meyer Mica & Milo. I've also used a number of Meyer trap
> cabs. I like all Meyer stuff, especially their subs.
>
> I also agree with Phildo that D&B are quality stuff. I think that there
> are numerous quality products out there, & they all have applications that
> are appropriate. But good line array technology would be my first choice.
>
> I like the sound of EAW 850's, but lobing is terrible with a large - or
> even a medium size - array. The 853 long throw cabs are less prone to
> lobing. And many line arrays do have lobing problems. If you use Meyer's
> on-line array modeling for Mica & Milo, you'll see there are clear lobes
> in arrays.
>
> But. like I said, I'll choose a line array before a trap cab for most
> applications. And I'd like to point out to George, who is a Grateful Dead
> fan (and the Dead used Meyer trap cabs), the Dead stacked their subs in a
> vertical line array for outdoor shows. For stadium shows, their subs were
> stacked 14 high and one wide. That is a 50' spindle of subs.
>
> Not to mention that the Wall Of Sound was damn close to a line array. And
> that center cluster vocal array was designed as a point source (line array
> on both vertical & horizontal axises. Just my 2 cents ...

the wall of sound was much closer to a "articulated line array" with a
center vocal only point source
which is the best most natural system imo.
the articulated line array is also the most expensive and labor intensive Pa
to deploy
but it is the smoothest sweetest sound one can strive for.

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Krooburg Science wrote:
>>><snipped> For the record, I OWN a trap system. It works fine for the
>>>personal
>>> stuff I do which is small stuff. But I've also tech and deployed line
>>> sources for big and medium shows, companies and tours for over a
>>> decade now. They're fantastic. If I could afford one of these "cheap"
>>> systems, you bet I'd have one - or even several.
>>> <more snip>
>>
>> The Peavey Versarray:
>> http://www.peavey.com/products/versarray/index.cfm
>> is actually a decent sounding line array system that won't cost
>> $1,000,000. I believe the Ozz Fest used it on the second or third stage,
>> & there are a large number of opinions of the system posted on
>> prosoundweb.com
>>
>> When I heard that I had to mix on a Peavey system, I was worried, but I
>> was pleasantly surprised. Even George might tell you it sounded decent;
>> he saw a rehearsal & show I mixed on the Versarray.

EXactly the peavey is as useful as most line arrays
sounds "acceptable, loud, but not "hifi" by any way you want to cut it
in fact the peavey sounded quite a bit better than any of the JBL offerings
at a fraction of the cost
I might consider the peavey except you cant ground stack it easily
which would limits its versitility in regards to my applications
Yes I have the genies, but I will do most anything to avoid deploying them
and yes when called for I do stage and roof but I bet I do 6 shows without
my stage and roof for each show that I do
but anyway this thread has no more productive information to be relayed
I am out to do my Josh Turner concert, we expect 15 to 20 thousand folks
there this saturday
george

From: Phildo on

> BTW what do you OWN?

Spending money on something doesn't make your opinion any more valid, it
just shows that you believe in it.

I don't own that much gear (even less since half of it was stolen last
night) but my opinion is just as valid as someone who owns $millions.

Phildo

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message

> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> BTW what do you OWN?
>
> Spending money on something doesn't make your opinion any more valid, it
> just shows that you believe in it.
>
> I don't own that much gear (even less since half of it was stolen last
> night) but my opinion is just as valid as someone who owns $millions.
>
> Phildo

yes but when you have to spend YOUR money on something, then you put ALOT
more into knowing about it VS just haveing to use what ever is there
you know more about many units than I do, but I know more about the units I
BOUGHT (and thier direct compitition)than most anyone who has not had to
choose one over the other with thier own pocketbooks

there is a HUGE diffrence between useing and owning