From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
> On 14/07/2010 05:41, in article i1jbld$3gi$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> "Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)
>>
>> I can understand all the points made in this thread. But, I detect more
>> personal animosity than honest & intelligent comparison.
>
> There is one word for the underlying problem: belief. Nobody can compare
> the
> sound of 2 systems short of putting them side by side, in the same room,
> with the same input signal. So we end up with people _believing_ that
> system
> X that they heard yesterday sounded better or worse than system Y they
> heard
> 2 weeks ago. But was it really the system, or was it the way it was set up
> or eq'ed, or the room, or they way the band was mixed?
>
> The only things we really can compare are the things that are comparable
> on
> paper: cost-effectiveness, weight, size, etc. And that we really don't
> need
> to discuss, the facts are all there, on paper. Trying to describe how
> something sounded at some point in the past is like trying to describe the
> taste of a meal one had 10 years ago. Very hard to get across to another
> person.
>
> Telling people that they are "wrong" because their beliefs are different
> from ones own is how most fights get started...
>
> Personally I'd love to be able to set up some MSL-3s and a a modern line
> array side by side and hear for myself. I currently believe a modern line
> array would win, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure George will
> believe that I'm wrong. But again this is purely belief, not knowledge.

and people look for diffrent things to qualify a system as "sounding good" I
want my system to sound as natural as possible, that is as much as if there
was no sound system at all
others want bombastic noise for miles and miles, the hell with 'what it
sounds like" and others like 'in your face edgyness, or overpowering kick
drums
set two diffrent systems up to their very most technical best in the same
space at the same time with the same inputs and some will choose system A
and others will choose system B

From: Audio1 on
Denny Strauser wrote:
> On 7/13/2010 4:30 PM, Krooburg Science wrote:
>>
>> Enjoy the sound of your obnoxious MSL3s. But hey, they were cheap, so
>> they MUST sound better, RIGHT??
>
> The Grateful Dead used MSL3's, and their sound was amazing. I've NEVER
> heard better sound. I've heard soundboard recordings & audience tapes of
> the same Dead shows, & the audience tapes sounded better. It depends who
> is turning the knobs.

There was a lot more going on at Dead shows than just MSL-3's, things
like Gamble (not Crest) 56EX consoles with a few special mods, Meyer
control units on those MSL-3's, CP-10's and SIM, modeling the system
deployment in the venue months before the show, insisting on trim
heights down to the inch, Don Pearson, and a few things Ultra Sound
still won't talk about.

> I can understand all the points made in this thread. But, I detect more
> personal animosity than honest & intelligent comparison.

It's alt.audio.pro.live-sound, what were you expecting, professionalism?

LOL!