From: mats on
lacro wrote:
> [...]
> First I needed the access in order to download the Con_Kit from a ftp
> address of HP. I did that and then installed the v 2.3 Build 2439
> release (in english), without any flaws. After that, and without
> starting up the application, I finished the setup process without
> booting anything. Then, I connected the calculator (to the PC with the
> USB cable) and turned it on. The XP asked me for the drivers, and I
> manually directed the "XP New Hardware Installation Process" to the
> Program Files Folder/Conn4x.../USBDrivers/... were they had been left
> by the previous Con_Kit Setup.
>
> Much to my surprise, the drivers were accepted without any never ending
> loop messages.
that's good news!

> The Bad, I still can't install them (USB Drivers) in my home PC, and
> can't figure why yet... I still refuse to downgrade as an option. Even
> more now, that I verify their perfect working condition.
downgrading won't help you. I'm quite sure now that this is a
mainboard/USB-chipset driver issue as you have verified that cable and
calculator are in good condition.

> I may add that yesterday evening, I tried every suggestion I was told,
> the Bill Graves alternative procedure by Mats (although I never got the
> concept behind a "radio button"),
ahem.. those round-shaped check boxes, working like electromechanical
channel selectors found on radio receivers (only one can be pushed at a
time)...
> [...], I swapped the only two USB connections I had (the
> other one is a Multi Card Reader), I can't recall properly the
> "Enabled/ Disabled Options" from the "mainboard/USB-chipset drivers"...
> but seem OK in the Gigabyte 7 motherboard. [...]
watch the startup screen for messages (pause key pauses the scrolling -
any other continues) like GA-xxxxx, where xxxxx is the more specific
model number of the mainboard, then look for drivers on the Gigabyte
website as USB-drivers are usually part of a mainboard driver package.
good luck ;-!
From: mats on
rereading the whole thread, my own suggestion seems quite strange:-) why
should a "defective" USB-chipset driver prevent another driver
installing routine from finding/copying a file (at least that's what
your originally posted error message told by "The System cannot find the
the file specified")?!? but who knows? you should try it anyway...
You could as well try to copy the file HPx9G2k.sys from
...\Conn4x\USBDriver\ to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ (that's where it
belongs to, but some registry entries will be missing anyway, so it's
not a real alternative to the install routine) and are you sure that
your downloaded version of conn4x isn't corrupted? a "fresh" copy from
hp's ftp shouldn't do any harm...;-)
From: mats on
lacro wrote:
> I still have problems.
A hard nut to crack ;-)

> As David stated, "I looked at the HPx9G.inf file in the connectivity
> kit in a text editor, ..." but couldn't find what was incorrect,
> between the HPx9G+.sys vs HPx9G2k.sys filenames,
extract of HPx9G.inf:
line 21: [SourceDisksFiles]
HPx9G2k.sys=1
(...)

line 54: HKR,,NTMPDriver,,HPx9G2k.sys

[HPx9G+.Files.Driver.NTx86]
HPx9G2k.sys
(...)

> although the setup once asked me for the first file, in the USB Drivers
> Folder where there is not any...
there is no such file (HPx9G+.sys) anymore in this version of Conn4x and
you may safely delete it from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ if it's still
there.

> When Mats told me he was quite sure now that this is a
> "mainboard/USB-chipset driver issue" (as I have verified that cable and
> calculator are in good condition), I looked for this solution after I
> realized I had a Gigabyte GA-7ZX-1(Rev 5.0) motherboard, and found and
> downloaded the file "motherboard_driver_chipset_via_4in1433v.exe" from
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1370
>

> USB-drivers are usually part of a mainboard driver packagere. Not this
> one. And my PC went suddenly even slower.
>
> I also copied the file HPx9G2k.sys from ..\Conn4x\USBDriver\ to
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ just in case.
>
> Just for the record, I sticked with the latest and recently downloaded
> again "Conn4x_English_23 2439.exe". The same one that worked perfectly
> at my office... with the same OS, but in defferente languages.
>
> Regards, Carlos

just to make sure, on my computers the directory listing of
...\Conn4x\USBDriver\ looks like this:

29.10.2004 15:03 2'006 HPx9G.inf
17.02.2005 14:38 12'658 HPx9G2k.sys
17.02.2005 14:38 18'932 HPx9G98.sys
14.03.2005 08:31 31'513 InstDrv.dll
4 File(s) 65'109 Bytes

The install routine copies the sys-file (HPx9G2k.sys) to
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ and the inf-file to C:\WINDOWS\inf\ as a
file called "oem#.inf" (where # is a number) and creates in the same
directory a file "oem#.pnf". They will still be there after you have
uninstalled the driver (Conn4x from Software and the driver in the
Device-manager) as well as there may be a copy of the driver in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\####\DriverFiles\ that gets
reinstalled when windows detects the calculator and cannot find it
elsewhere. And maybe there are also older versions of the driver files
on your computer (like HPx9G+.sys). So you can delete those files and
the directory ..\ReinstallBackups\#### after uninstallation.
Then I would try it again (on a "cleaned" machine), using the method
described before (selecting "show all devices" when windows asks you for
hardware type).
BTW you can also right-click any inf-file to install it/its contents.
Hope that helps a little bit.
From: lacro on
More than a week passed, and I still can't connect my new 50G with my
PC. But at least, I know now I'm doing someting wrong or not doing
something right.

What did you mean?, when your stated
--------------------------------------
>extract< of HPx9G.inf:

line 21: [SourceDisksFiles]
HPx9G2k.sys=1
(...)

line 54: HKR,,NTMPDriver,,HPx9G2k.sys
[HPx9G+.Files.Driver.NTx86]
HPx9G2k.sys
(...)
--------------------------------------
*Should I delete those lines from that file?

Back on my tracks again,
I uninstalled the USB Driver from the Device Manager
I uninstalled the Con Kit (Build 2439)
*I followed your last instructions, deleting the OEMxx.PNF (12 through
15), HPx9G.PNF and HPx9G.INF out from the C:\WINDOWS\inf Directory, and
also deleted the file HPx9G2k.sys from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ as
well, and nearly every file which might be related just in case. Also
looked for those older versions of the driver files on my computer
(like HPx9G+.sys), and deleted them.
I booted the PC (somehow following Bill Graves' protocol)
I began the Con Kit (Build 2439) setup, as I did back in the office on
friday, and the awkard message box below keeps on poping up,
Cannot Install this Hardware
There was a problem installing this hardware
HPx9G+ DEVICE
An error occurred during the installation of the device
The System cannot find the the file specified.
Click finish to close the wizard.

The moment I plug the calculator (to the always connected cable), the
Found New Hardware Wizard welcomes me and the loop begins...

1st Radio Button) Install from software automatically (Recommended)
> 2nd Radio Button) Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) <

The second (I'm choosing now, because I know it works) lasts around 3
minutes time, while the first choice lasts much longer (and avoided).

Ah, on my computer, the directory listing of ..\Conn4x\USBDriver\ looks
exactly the same like yours, wth identical 4 files.

I even tried earlier the right-click on the inf-file to install it/its
contents. Didn't help either.

Hope I end bothering you all promptly.
Regards, tks, Carlos

From: mats on
lacro wrote:
> More than a week passed, and I still can't connect my new 50G with my
> PC. But at least, I know now I'm doing someting wrong or not doing
> something right.
>
> What did you mean?, when your stated
> --------------------------------------
> extract of HPx9G.inf:
>
> line 21: [SourceDisksFiles]
> HPx9G2k.sys=1
> (...)
>
> line 54: HKR,,NTMPDriver,,HPx9G2k.sys
> [HPx9G+.Files.Driver.NTx86]
> HPx9G2k.sys
> (...)
> --------------------------------------
> *Should I delete those lines from that file?
no!! just that you can verify with your preferred texteditor (Notepad)
that your inf-file looks the same on those "critical" lines where
HPx9G2k.sys (not HPx9G+.sys) is referenced.

> Back on my tracks again,
> I uninstalled the USB Driver from the Device Manager
> I uninstalled the Con Kit (Build 2439)
> *I followed your last instructions, deleting the OEMxx.PNF (12 through
> 15), HPx9G.PNF and HPx9G.INF out from the C:\WINDOWS\inf Directory,
and the corresponding OEMxx.INF files, I guess (you should have made
sure that you got the right files by looking at those OEMxx.INF files
with a texteditor). But I should have made this clear before: deleting
files from C:\Windows and its subdirectories may be harmful to your
computer's health...! This is the reason why Windows tries to hide the
contents of various directories and some filetypes in the first place.
Instead of deleting a file you should move it to a backup directory
somewhere else on the disk - especially if you are not sure about it;-)

> I began the Con Kit (Build 2439) setup, as I did back in the office on
> friday, and the awkard message box below keeps on poping up,
> Cannot Install this Hardware
> There was a problem installing this hardware
> HPx9G+ DEVICE
> An error occurred during the installation of the device
> The System cannot find the the file specified.
> Click finish to close the wizard.
I guess this was after that you've installed Conn4x (while the calc was
unplugged) and then plugged in/turned on the calc.

> The moment I plug the calculator (to the always connected cable), the
> Found New Hardware Wizard welcomes me and the loop begins...
>
> 1st Radio Button) Install from software automatically (Recommended)
> 2nd Radio Button) Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) <
>
> The second (I'm choosing now, because I know it works) ...
yes, we always take the advanced options - when trying to be smarter
than Microsoft's OS ;-)

So here again the instructions for an "advanced" USB driver install on
WindowsXP/2k:
0. unplug the calculator!
1. make sure that you are logged in as an administrator
2. install Conn4x (2.3.2439)
3. plug the calculator
4. the Hardware Wizard starts
5. tell it not to use Windows Update this time
6. then install from a list or specific location ("Advanced" - 2nd Radio
Button)
7. choose the lowest option (2nd Radio Button), Windows shouldn't search
for anything anywhere by itself! We do know where the files are!
8. if there are still some driver files (inf-files) on your system, the
previously (un)installed driver(s) will be listed now. Otherwise you
have to choose the "Hardware-Type" you're installing - we want to see
all devices no matter which type they are (then you have to wait a
little bit...)
9. click the "Have Disk" button
10. navigate to C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Conn4x\USBDriver and
click on the HPx9G.inf file
11. click OK, Continue - Windows should find the driver, warn it is not
approved - continue installation - done!

And finally a weird suggestion that solved another Conn4x problem (? -
couldn't find the thread anymore) but probably not yours: change the
regional settings to US/English and try again!