From: Curious George on
On 2 Jan 2006 18:38:51 -0800, google3luo359(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi George,
>
> Thanks for helping out!
>I was beginning to think no one was going to reply.
>
>Yes I have learned a lesson here re: backups. But if there is good news
>these files are not high importance ones. More like low-medium
>importance.
>It would still save me a heck of amount of time if I could somehow get
>them back.
>
>I tried the fast scandisk and it didn't show anything up. It only found
>10G as well.
>I'm doing the long scandisk right now.
>
>I am holding out with Fdisking again because until I know what
>happened, it can very well happen again. (Aside from losing your data
>completely) there is nothing worse than making a backup and aways
>wondering if the data will be seen the next time you use the disk.

Please don't re-FDISK to try to recover the files. It won't work.

>I will look into Norton or another recovery program.
>So these programs will recover lost partitions as well as data?

The recovery programs can locate files regardless of partition
structure. There are many to choose from. Many have free trials you
can use to test if they can find your missing data. You might
consider removing the Drive from the case and installing it internally
if you now consider the drive box suspicious.

Norton Disk doctor can (hopefully) correct partition structure damage.
It's been a long time since I used NDD on FAT or FAT32. IIRC it may
have trouble correcting your particular situation but is still worth a
try. But try to recover the files first.

From: google3luo359 on
Hi George,

Things were looking a lot brighter up until a few minutes ago.
I'm using a disk recovery program that has found all of the 'missing'
files.
I'm copying them to my c: HD.

But I decided to check some of them in the middle of the copying
process.

The mp3 and wmv files won't play in Media Player. I get errors
"..extension does not match file format" and "class not registered".
The zip, jpg, and htm files are not recognized either.

So this is obviously not good.

Any ideas on how I can get these files recognized now that they have
been restored?

Thanks!

Ric

From: Curious George on
On 4 Jan 2006 15:31:29 -0800, google3luo359(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi George,
>
> Things were looking a lot brighter up until a few minutes ago.
>I'm using a disk recovery program that has found all of the 'missing'
>files.
>I'm copying them to my c: HD.
>
>But I decided to check some of them in the middle of the copying
>process.
>
>The mp3 and wmv files won't play in Media Player. I get errors
>"..extension does not match file format" and "class not registered".
>The zip, jpg, and htm files are not recognized either.
>
>So this is obviously not good.
>
>Any ideas on how I can get these files recognized now that they have
>been restored?
>
>Thanks!
>
> Ric

Depending on what exactly happened, you may not ever be easily able to
recover all complete, undamaged files. Try to do the best you can
with that or other recovery programs. Focus on the most important
files/file types that are hardest to replace. You may be able to
repair some damaged zips with the archiving program. Irfanview can
tell you if some media files are indeed misnamed (rather than
corrupt.) Although typically recovery programs don't mess up the file
extension of good, fully intact files.

Once you've done the best you can, and there is nothing remaining that
you'll shoot yourself if you never see again, try Norton disk doctor.
If it can't correct the partition edit or replace the MBR so it
references a larger partition size than 10GB. Then run NDD again. It
should correct everything from there. But if Arno is right then you
have a lot of trashed data that is not easily fixed.
From: google3luo359 on
Hi George,

Well this recovery software (Recovery4All Professional) found pretty
much all the files and I have 'recovered' them to my c: drive, but I
can't get at a single one of them.
They are all correctly named. File name and extension, just as they
were. File sizes and dates look perfect.
Even if I try to open an innocent .doc file in Word I get a file full
of boxes rather than text. Gif files open in ACDSEE but they are all
completely black, no image.

I guess I need to find the Doctor. :(

Ric

From: ericgree on
Hey George,

it's me Eric.
(Diff e-mail address)

Oh boy.
Now I could really use your help!

I'm writing this on my pocket pc!

The disk recovery app was still open (finished using it though) and I
was trying to open a zip file when my system froze.

Couldn't soft-reset. Couldn't hard reset!
The system won't boot now!
It's not reading anything, not even a: drive. I don't get the startup
beep. Keyboard all lights are on.
Monitor light is blinking, that's it.

Any ideas what I should do next?

:(