From: Curious George on
On 5 Jan 2006 18:25:50 -0800, google3luo359(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi George,
>
>I'm back in business! What a relief!

Congratulations

>It turned out to be a loose connection. Same as last time. Same floppy
>drive connector. This time it was just loose. The last time it had come
>off altogether.
>Problem is that I have two CD-ROMs that vibrate very strongly.
>Eventually they loosen neighbouring cables.

What kind of machine is this. I don't think I've ever seen a machine
that couldn't POST because the floppy was unpowered/insufficiently
powered.

>Now it's back to my disk recovery problem.
>
>Here's a post from a similar thread that's active now:
>

>On 31 Dec 2005 14:34:17 -0800, grativo(a)aol.com wrote:
>
>>Got the HD enclosure, installed it, worked fine for about 10 minutes,
>>then gives me a "delayed write error" message and went dead. The HD is
>>recognizable under Devices as a USB external HD...just won't assign a
>>drive #. Running XP w/ SP2, HD jumpers set as master. Any help?
>
>Have a look on Google for this very popular, but it seems almost
>irresolvable problem.
>
>You could try a powered USB hub is about the best hope I can give you.

Shouldn't make a difference if the drive has it's own power supply.

>So it seems that even in WinXP USB drives are a problem.

Yes & no. It's very possible to have either great success or great
headaches.
From: google3luo359 on
HI george,

I have an ASUS board from 1997.
The ribbon cable from the floppy comes loose, not its power cable.

My USB drive doesn't have its own power supply.

Ric

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously google3luo359(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Yes you are correct, they weren't high importance files.

[...]

> In another folder on the CD is a file called 242975usa8.exe which I did
> run and install but it didn't make any difference.
> Perhaps I should run it after fdisking but before placing data on the
> HD?

> In one folder is a file called USBMonit.exe but when I run it no
> monitor is set up to show when I can safely unplug the HD.
> In one info file is the only clue to the company:
> [Strings]
> MCS="Myson-Century"
> MfgName="Myson-Century"
> USB\VID_04CF&PID_8810.DeviceDesc="Myson-Century CS8810 USB Mass Storage
> Device"
> USB\VID_04CF&PID_8811.DeviceDesc="Myson-Century CS8811 USB Mass Storage
> Device"
> USB\VID_04CF&PID_8813.DeviceDesc="Myson-Century CS8813 USB Mass Storage
> Device"
> USB\VID_04CF&PID_8818.DeviceDesc="Myson-Century CS8818 USB Mass Storage
> Device"
> USB\VID_04CF&PID_0800.DeviceDesc="Myson-Century MTP800 USB Mass Storage
> Device"
> MCUSBMS\DISK.DeviceDesc="USB Mass Storage Device"

> And it doesn't help that there is no obvious setup file. There are two
> setup.exe files in two different folders.
> They look like the same file.

There are just too many products out there that were made cheaper than
possible. Unfortunately paying a reasonable price does not ensure
good quality. Sharing experiences with others (ad done here) is
the only way to identify good products, it seems. So thamks for
posting your experiences.

Arno

From: google3luo359 on
You're welcome Arno.

I still haven't given up hope about retrieving my data from the HD.
One data recovery package found all the files. Unfortunately when the
files were transferred to my c: drive none could be opened. It's as if
one critical byte in each file is missing.

Ric

From: Folkert Rienstra on
"Arno Wagner" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:41s3l1F1g10q5U1(a)individual.net
> Previously google3luo359(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> > I bought a new 80G Toshiba 2.5" HD to use as a backup USB drive
> > for my ancient desktop.
> > I run Win 98SE on the 233Mhz desktop.
>
> > At first the desktop couldn't see more than 10G of the USB drive.
> > Someone suggested updating the Fdisk to a newer version.
> > I did and bingo, it could now see 80G.
>
> > I partitioned the drive into 4 partitions and started transfering files
> > from the desktop to the USB drive. I did it a little bit at a time for
> > a few weeks. I must have transferred files for a total of three or four
> > sessions, with no problems.
>
> > Then today I plug in the USB drive and no go!
> > The desktop sees a USB drive, but it's only 10G again, and there is
> > nothing on the drive !!!!!
>
> > Someone please help me!
> > I didn't backup those files, I transferred them to clear out space on
> > my desktop HD.
>
> They could not have been important if you have only this one copy,
> now can they?

> Sotty, but I think you just learned a valuable lesson.

That you are an idiot?

> If you can spend the money, try a data recovery outfit. Has a
> reasonable chance of bringing back some of your data.
>

> My guess as to the actual problem is that Win98 never saw more than
> the small amount of space and that in you last session you managed
> to fill that up and windows started writing an the beginning of the
> disk, overwriting all the meta-information, file-allocation table and
> main directory. If I remember correctly, this is a known problem,
> also with large disk sizes and XP (without service pack).

Utterly Clueless.

> This also means that some of your data is likely irretrivably lost.
>
> > Please tell me what I should try, ending as a very last resort with
> > Fdisk-ing the HD.

> I think

About living dangerously ....