From: CSM1 on
Ray <nospam(a)aol.com> wrote in

> On 7/4/2010 9:15 AM, Andrew Rossmann wrote:
>> In article<oLidndRfCbVd9K3RnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d(a)atmc.coop>,
>> nospam(a)aol.com says...
>>>
>>> up until the other day I was able to backup my Quicken 2003 QDF file
>>> ... now it won't recognize my rewrite/burn drive... with error
>>> message ' unable to write to Drive E'
>>>
>>> I've tried multiple different disks to no avail.. all other burn
>>> programs like Windows Media Player and Nero are working fine .. the
>>> drive(E) is okay
>>>
>>> any way to repair this.. any suggestions.. or should I just
>>> re-install the Quicken-2003 program...
>>
>> Quicken seems to be weird writing to CD/DVD drives. Maybe some recent
>> Windows update changed something in how Quicken sees it? As a
>> workaround, you can write to a local directory, then copy the files
>> to the CD/DVD drive manually.
>>
>> I used to write to a CD with Q2007, but Q2010 has always refused to
>> write to it.
>>
> been backing up Quicken using the E Drive ( RW drive) on this old
> Gateway PC with XP for a long while now... it was w*rking fine just
> the other day.. all of a sudden it stopped recognizing the E Drive...
> haven't added or deleted anything since then... unless it was the
> latest MS Windows Updates that screwed it up...

I quit using Quicken to write the backup file to the CD/DVD drive a long
time ago.

I write the Quicken backup to a folder on the Hard drive, then copy that
file with Xcopy to the CD.

I have Nero Incd for writing cdrw disks. You just copy the file to the
CDRW disk.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: Jim H on
CSM1 wrote:
> Ray <nospam(a)aol.com> wrote in
>
>> On 7/4/2010 9:15 AM, Andrew Rossmann wrote:
>>> In article<oLidndRfCbVd9K3RnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d(a)atmc.coop>,
>>> nospam(a)aol.com says...

>>> Quicken seems to be weird writing to CD/DVD drives. Maybe some recent
>>> Windows update changed something in how Quicken sees it? As a
>>> workaround, you can write to a local directory, then copy the files
>>> to the CD/DVD drive manually.
>>>
>>> I used to write to a CD with Q2007, but Q2010 has always refused to
>>> write to it.
>>>
>> been backing up Quicken using the E Drive ( RW drive) on this old
>> Gateway PC with XP for a long while now... it was w*rking fine just
>> the other day.. all of a sudden it stopped recognizing the E Drive...
>> haven't added or deleted anything since then... unless it was the
>> latest MS Windows Updates that screwed it up...
>>

> I quit using Quicken to write the backup file to the CD/DVD drive a long
> time ago.
>
> I write the Quicken backup to a folder on the Hard drive, then copy that
> file with Xcopy to the CD.
>
> I have Nero Incd for writing cdrw disks. You just copy the file to the
> CDRW disk.

I also quit using Quickens backup capability. They kept breaking it in
each release.

I use "Karen's Replicator". It is free software from the Internet. I
have it set to create a directory on the DVD using the date as part of
the name. It then copies the Quicken data files into the new directory.

It took about 15 minutes one time to set up. Now it is a one button
operation. Each quarter, I take the DVD to the safety deposit box at the
bank. Then, I start a new DVD.

I also use it to backup my email once in a while. The rest of the
computer I use regular backup software about 2-3 times a year. That I
backup to an external hard drive that I keep in another location. That
takes a while to run.