From: Ben Myers on
Here is Microsoft's own description of bootcfg, which has been around since NT
4.0:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

"The bootcfg /redirect command enables redirection in the boot loader with the
configuration specified as port and baudrate. This command is used to turn on
the Headless Administration feature." Headless means no monitor attached, with
administration of Windows through a dumb terminal (e.g. DEC VT100) usually
attached to a serial port. Seems to me to be a leftover from the days when a
monitor cost $1000.

In general, the recovery console provides limited number of limited commands
which can be used to fix a problem on the hard drive with Windows. If you boot
to the recovery console, get yourself to the command line, and type HELP, you
will get a list of allowable commands. If you type HELP <command>, you will get
the syntax for that command. You can also find more information about the
recovery console at the Microsoft web site. Or just Google for it. Faster than
Microsoft's anemic search.

You were definitely given a steaming pile of fresh horse manure on whatever
newsgroup gave you that advice. We try not to do that in this newsgroup. Most
of us anyway... Ben Myers

From: Fixer on
ERRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr staing the blindingly obvious but did you hit the F12
key from the dell spash screen and choose "Boot From CD"????????

--

FF

From: Fred the Red Shirt on
On Sep 15, 3:48 am, "Fixer" <steve.haberfi...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> ERRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr staing the blindingly obvious but did you hit the F12
> key from the dell spash screen and choose "Boot From CD"????????

I don't know what a spash (splash?) screen is.

If I hit F12 during startup I get a message saying to enter CTR-ALT-
B.

Doing that I get a "Configuration menu" where I can set the "Boot
Method".

The choices for "Boot Method" are:

RPL
PXE
TCP/IP
NetWare

Which of those is the "Boot From CD"?

The other parameters are currently set to:

Config Message: Enabled
Message Timeout: 6 seconds
Boot Failure Prompt: Wait for Timeout
Boot Failure: Next Boot Device

--

FF

From: Fred the Red Shirt on
On Sep 15, 12:23 am, Ben Myers <ben_myers_spam_me_...(a)charter.net>
wrote:
> Here is Microsoft's own description of bootcfg, which has been around since NT
> 4.0:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980
>
> "The bootcfg /redirect command enables redirection in the boot loader with the
> configuration specified as port and baudrate. This command is used to turn on
> the Headless Administration feature."   Headless means no monitor attached, with
> administration of Windows through a dumb terminal (e.g. DEC VT100) usually
> attached to a serial port.  Seems to me to be a leftover from the days when a
> monitor cost $1000.

Yes I have read that already. If you review it again you will find
that
there is no explanation on those pages for what the command:

bootcfg /redirect useBiosSettings

actually does. Do you know what it does?

> In general, the recovery console provides limited number of limited commands
> which can be used to fix a problem on the hard drive with Windows.  If you boot
> to the recovery console, get yourself to the command line, and type HELP, you
> will get a list of allowable commands.  If you type HELP <command>, you will get
> the syntax for that command.  You can also find more information about the
> recovery console at the Microsoft web site.  Or just Google for it.  Faster than
> Microsoft's anemic search.

Yes I have found several sources for information about the recovery
console. None of them explain what:

bootcfg /redirect useBiosSettings

actually does.

At least, it looks to be reversible so I'll try it and see.

> You were definitely given a steaming pile of fresh horse manure on whatever
> newsgroup gave you that advice.

Keeping that thought in mind, how do you boot to the recovery console
_without_ using XP setup boot floppies? They work for me and there
is a plethora of articles on assorted Usenet newsgroups explaining how
to do it which leaves me at a loss to understand why you have never
known it to work, unless of course you have not actually tried it.

Here is some more information about Xp setup boot floppies:

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?form=MSHOME&setlang=en-us&q=xp+setup+floppies&mkt=en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8

> We try not to do that in this newsgroup.  Most
> of us anyway...BenMyers

FF
From: JayB on
that bootcfg command will not help you.
did you try hitting the f12 key to get the start menu???
you must boot off the windows cd to install it.