From: Twayne on
In news:%23QMMICLgKHA.2184(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Daave <daave(a)example.com> typed:
> Jose wrote:
>> On Dec 17, 6:18 pm, "Twayne" <nob...(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
>>> Just curious:
>>> Has anyone checked out Winzip's "Uniblue RegistryBooster"?
>>> I don't have the time to do an analysis of the product yet so
>>> thought I'd see if there were any head-start opinions here. Well,
>>> with the exception of the misinformationists anyway -
>>> misinformationists need not respond.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Twayne
>>
>> I will install it.
>>
>> I have tried at least a dozen registry
>> cleaners/optimizers/compactors/ compressors/defragmenters/remove
>> unnecessary thingers.
>
> Have you noticed any performance impovement from any of them? So far,
> no one has been able to offer convincing evidence that registry
> "cleaners" or "optimizers" speed up a PC appreciably (unless the PC
> is still running Windows 95 or 98). I do realize that in rare
> circumstances, they can be beneficial in quickly identifying problem
> spots, but to date I have never come across any evidence to support
> the claim they significantly boost performance.

It's the unusual case IME where an optimizer actually results in
noticeable/appreciable boost in performance. It's really only when a 20
second delay (the default) occurs while the registry searches for a
component before deciding it's not available (and doesn't warrant an error
message) that I've seen noticeable changes, and that case would be for
booting. It would often take a stopwatch to tell if there was any change in
performance timing. Again, they're special cases IMO. Oh, there was one I
just recalled: It manifested itself in an iterative situation where the
operation repeated many thousands of times in succession.
I've never noticed a perfrmance boost on my own machines but on occasion
I have seen it help in customer's machines. I don't look for it either as a
rule because it's not my purpose in running such a program. Even then you
have to be purposely looking for it though, since an A-B comparison can't be
made.
At the same time I've never seen a mfr taken to task for his claims of
performance boosts either; assuming you could get them to respond, I wonder
what they would say? Well, i wonder what those past the marketing peons
would say, really. Marketing types only know what they're told.
I don't dispute that performance boosts don't happen, but I do dispute
that they are NOTICEABLE. Most of us don't consider a few hundred
micro-Seconds or milliseconds to be much of a performance boost.

Twayne
Live in the moment;
be open to the possibilities
that life has to offer.

From: VanguardLH on
Twayne wrote:

> That's a good set of links; thanks. They surprised me as a couple were more
> positive than I expected, and the others followed the expected hype
> channels.

It isn't hype when someone disagrees with you. Otherwise, everything you
say is hype. Don't fall into the Alan Connor syndrome where either
everythig that agrees with you is saintly and everyone that disagrees with
you is satanic. Would you really want to live in a world of Twayne clones?
From: Twayne on
In news:hgkkj9$cp4$1(a)news.albasani.net,
VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> typed:
> Twayne wrote:
>
>> That's a good set of links; thanks. They surprised me as a couple
>> were more positive than I expected, and the others followed the
>> expected hype channels.
>
> It isn't hype when someone disagrees with you. Otherwise, everything
> you say is hype. Don't fall into the Alan Connor syndrome where
> either everythig that agrees with you is saintly and everyone that
> disagrees with you is satanic. Would you really want to live in a
> world of Twayne clones?

LOL, that's not quite what I intended to convey, but ... close enough!
I'd NEVER think that everyone agreeing with me as saintly; smart maybe, but
not saintly<G>! I'm sure that'll draw a few comments.
As for a world full of Twaynes, nah, but I could use one or two now and
then.

Cheers,

From: Paul on
Twayne wrote:

> Was there a point to all that Paul?

Yes.

1) Does anyone in these discussions understand how the
registry "database engine" actually works ? And what
percentage of time or compute cycles on average, involve
accesses to that engine ?

2) Is there any article which benchmarks the database
engine, to show how sensitive it is to size, compaction
and the like ? Rather than just accepting what the
registry product claims on its status screen ?

Most of the discussions I see about the Registry, seem
to involve "feel good" comparison. Even if I look for
web articles, they still just accept what the tool
tells them, of some percentage improvement.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1351988&seqNum=2

How many problems posted in these groups, come from
people who buy products to "polish" their OS, and then
live to regret it ? At the very least, there should be
an honest expression about what is known or not known.
As in "I use registry cleaners to remove entries that
don't look correctly formed" but "I don't know whether
it makes any difference in the long run". At least then,
the potential person buying these things, has an honest
appraisal of what is known.

As opposed to just accepting every claim made by the
product manufacturer.

*******

One thing which has bothered me about this topic, is
reading articles like the one by Russinovich, where you
can see there was some care and attention to efficiency
in the design. And then, doing a search on the registry
with Regedit, and it takes an eternity. There seems to be
s disconnect between the two (the theory and the observation).
The performance on a search, isn't consistent with something
which is mainly stored in memory. It should run a lot faster
than it does. And I've yet to see explanations for that behavior.

Paul
From: Bob I on

Paul wrote:
> Twayne wrote:
>

>> Was there a point to all that Paul?
>

> Yes.
>
> 1) Does anyone in these discussions understand how the
> registry "database engine" actually works ? And what
> percentage of time or compute cycles on average, involve
> accesses to that engine ?
>
> 2) Is there any article which benchmarks the database
> engine, to show how sensitive it is to size, compaction
> and the like ? Rather than just accepting what the
> registry product claims on its status screen ?
>
> Most of the discussions I see about the Registry, seem
> to involve "feel good" comparison. Even if I look for
> web articles, they still just accept what the tool
> tells them, of some percentage improvement.
>
> http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1351988&seqNum=2
>
> How many problems posted in these groups, come from
> people who buy products to "polish" their OS, and then
> live to regret it ? At the very least, there should be
> an honest expression about what is known or not known.
> As in "I use registry cleaners to remove entries that
> don't look correctly formed" but "I don't know whether
> it makes any difference in the long run". At least then,
> the potential person buying these things, has an honest
> appraisal of what is known.
>
> As opposed to just accepting every claim made by the
> product manufacturer.
>
> *******
>
> One thing which has bothered me about this topic, is
> reading articles like the one by Russinovich, where you
> can see there was some care and attention to efficiency
> in the design. And then, doing a search on the registry
> with Regedit, and it takes an eternity. There seems to be
> s disconnect between the two (the theory and the observation).
> The performance on a search, isn't consistent with something
> which is mainly stored in memory. It should run a lot faster
> than it does. And I've yet to see explanations for that behavior.
>
> Paul

I'd say the difference is like driving to a known address, vs. driving
around looking for a blue house with white shutters and a detached garage.