From: Benjamin Goldman on
Gerry Peters wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:32:16 -0700, "Benjamin Goldman"
> <bengoldmanSKIPIT(a)centurytel.net> wrote:
>
> > After I freeze a soft synth track and then export to WAV it won't
> > play. What am I doing wrong?
>
> I assume you mean the exported wav file won't play. Do you mean it
> plays but there is silence or do you get an error message saying win
> media player can't play the file? When you export you can choose 16
> bit 44.1., if that doesn't play or plays but is silent then you may
> have another track soloed or the synth track muted, that will produce
> a silent wav file
>
> Hope that helps.

It was the 16 bit 64 bit issue Rick suggested. I set everything to 16
bit and the exported wav is readable now. :o)

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Gerry Peters on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:11:53 -0700, "Benjamin Goldman"
<bengoldmanSKIPIT(a)centurytel.net> wrote:

>Gerry Peters wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:32:16 -0700, "Benjamin Goldman"
>> <bengoldmanSKIPIT(a)centurytel.net> wrote:
>>
>> > After I freeze a soft synth track and then export to WAV it won't
>> > play. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> I assume you mean the exported wav file won't play. Do you mean it
>> plays but there is silence or do you get an error message saying win
>> media player can't play the file? When you export you can choose 16
>> bit 44.1., if that doesn't play or plays but is silent then you may
>> have another track soloed or the synth track muted, that will produce
>> a silent wav file
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>
>It was the 16 bit 64 bit issue Rick suggested. I set everything to 16
>bit and the exported wav is readable now. :o)

Glad it worked out. You can get Win Media player to play 24 bit wav
files. The fix is below if you need it, but by now the new Win Media
player I would think would do that without having to do this tweak. I
can send you the zip file if that link isn't good anymore or do a
google search.

http://www.chrisnet.net/msdn/AudioTypeConvert.zip

Download it, Unzip it, and place the AudioTypeConvert.ax file in your
System32 folder.
Then open a Command Prompt and register it with this:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax

If you want to remove it at anytime just unregister it with:

regsvr32 /U c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax
--
Gerry Peters
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Gerry Peters wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:11:53 -0700, "Benjamin Goldman"
> <bengoldmanSKIPIT(a)centurytel.net> wrote:
>
> > Gerry Peters wrote:

> >> I assume you mean the exported wav file won't play. Do you mean it
> >> plays but there is silence or do you get an error message saying
> win >> media player can't play the file? When you export you can
> choose 16 >> bit 44.1., if that doesn't play or plays but is silent
> then you may >> have another track soloed or the synth track muted,
> that will produce >> a silent wav file
> >>
> >> Hope that helps.
> >
> > It was the 16 bit 64 bit issue Rick suggested. I set everything to
> > 16 bit and the exported wav is readable now. :o)
>
> Glad it worked out. You can get Win Media player to play 24 bit wav
> files. The fix is below if you need it, but by now the new Win Media
> player I would think would do that without having to do this tweak. I
> can send you the zip file if that link isn't good anymore or do a
> google search.
>
> http://www.chrisnet.net/msdn/AudioTypeConvert.zip
>
> Download it, Unzip it, and place the AudioTypeConvert.ax file in your
> System32 folder.
> Then open a Command Prompt and register it with this:
>
> regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax
>
> If you want to remove it at anytime just unregister it with:
>
> regsvr32 /U c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax

Thanks. No troubles with Media Player 11.

Email me anytime.

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Rick Paul wrote:

> it's best to keep 64-bit checked for the engine, and for any other
> uses where you are creating intermediate files where you want to
> preserve full resolution.

Thanks again, Rick.

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Rick Paul wrote:

> "Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> news:Xns9DB35763E7CCDBrownShoesDontMakeIt(a)81.169.183.62... >The
> killer robot "Rick Paul" <rickpaul(a)earthlink.net> grabbed the
> > controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these
> > buttons...
> >
> > > Yeah, but it's best to keep 64-bit checked for the engine, and
> > > for any other uses where you are creating intermediate files
> > > where you want to preserve full resolution. The time you need to
> > > go to 16-bit is just on your mixes for people to play (or to play
> > > in consumer-type programs yourself).
> >
> > Unless you're me, then you wanna go 16/44 from the start, and spend
> > all your time making music on your DAW instead of troubleshooting
> > it! <g>
>
> It's one thing to start at 16/44.1 -- I might quibble with that
> versus 24/44.1 due to headroom considerations, but, if you're careful
> on your gain staging ahead of you're A/D converters or using really
> limited dynamic range inputs, it's no big deal. Personally, I do
> need the extra headroom, because I don't use a compressor ahead of my
> A/D converters since I have higher quality plug-in compressors than
> my old Behringer hardware compressor, so I just record at low enough
> levels to guarantee I don't overload the A/D converters, which means
> needing the extra precision to make up for not using the high end of
> the dynamic range (I.e. other than for stuff that needs to get
> limited).
>
> It's another thing together, though, to have intermediate files, such
> as freeze results and submixes, bit-reduced and dithered down to
> 16/44.1, when the internal mixing engine will be 32-bits at a minimum
> or 64-bit if you're using the 64-bit audio engine. That represents
> the possibility of multiple losses of quality enroute to even getting
> to the final mix (which necessarily needs a loss in quality if you're
> going down to CD quality or worse). That's a difference that is
> easily hearable based on my past testing of this back when I was
> trying to decide whether to go from 24-bit renders for intermediate
> files to 32-bit renders before 64-bit was even an option.
>
> I can't see where it has anything to do with troubleshooting. We're
> talking set it and forget it stuff, and the defaults don't make such
> compromises, so you'd have to manually make them if you want to go
> that low. The only time you'd possibly run into trouble is if you
> tried to do something like use Sound Forge to edit the intermediate
> files (no issues there if you're using the 32-bit files, but the
> version of SF I have, which is not the latest, doesn't support 64-bit
> files).
>
> Rick

Neither does mine; Sound Forge Studio 6.0.

--
Cheers,
Ben