From: Sue Morton on
My name must actually be Glennbo then! <vbg> Same here, 16/44 all the
way... fast and efficient. If there are fidelity losses with this vs.
converting back and forth amongst higher bit rates or sample rates I've
not noticed them. But perhaps my 'ear palette' is just not refined
enough to detect the difference.

In any event most of my music is heard by the 'bengay crowd' (my church
congregation) and 8 bit would probably suffice :-)
--
Sue Morton

From: John Braner on
On 13/07/2010 14:50, Glennbo wrote:
> The killer robot "Sue Morton"<867-5309(a)domain.invalid> grabbed the
> controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> My name must actually be Glennbo then!<vbg> Same here, 16/44 all the
>> way... fast and efficient. If there are fidelity losses with this vs.
>> converting back and forth amongst higher bit rates or sample rates I've
>> not noticed them. But perhaps my 'ear palette' is just not refined
>> enough to detect the difference.
>>
>> In any event most of my music is heard by the 'bengay crowd' (my church
>> congregation) and 8 bit would probably suffice :-)
>
> I've never had anyone say "eew, that sounds like a 16/44 recording", but I
> have had people who record for a living tell me that I get a great sound
> out of my studio. For me, it's about taking pictures, and the subject is
> the subject, not the camera. ;)

Sorry, you're both wrong here. The best way, by far, is to record everything at 64 bit 96KHz, and
*then* run it through Izotope Trash (or Audioease Speakerphone), to sound like it's running through
a megaphone. ;-)

This way you'll get a true 64 bit quality megaphone sound. Then you can add Vintage Warmer if you
want. This is the secret to sooper high quality soundz.

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: Sue Morton on
I care :-) Interesting test. I'm a little surprised about VLC but then
how many people use VLC to play 64-bit stuff? I would guess none. (har
har har)

My favorite 'lightweight' linux: Mint. Not so light on features. Great
choice :-)
--
Sue Morton

From: Benjamin Goldman on
Ull wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 00:09:24 -0700, "Rick Paul"
> <rickpaul(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > The only time
> > you'd possibly run into trouble is if you tried to do something
> > like use Sound Forge to edit the intermediate files (no issues
> > there if you're using the 32-bit files, but the version of SF I
> > have, which is not the latest, doesn't support 64-bit files).
>
> I just did a test 64 bit export. Windows and Vegas Pro 9 recognized it
> as a 64 bit file. It opened and played in SF Pro 10 but seemed to
> identify the file as 16 bit. 64 bit IEEE float is a record option in
> SF Pro 10. File Info in Audition 3 showed it as 64 bit IEEE Float. It
> played back fine. The status bar said it was playing back at 32 bit.
> FWIW this test was on a 32 bit OS. My 64 bit OS is Linux at the
> moment. My drive with Win7 Pro 64 bit is not in the machine right now.
> The file would not play with Gnome Mplayer or VLC on Linux Mint 64 but
> would with Movie Player and Rhythmbox if anyone cares.
>
> Ben N. Moore

I care. Linux rocks BIG time. <ggg>

VLC is great . . . when it's working.

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Ull wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:15:37 -0700, "Benjamin Goldman"
> <bengoldmanSKIPIT(a)centurytel.net> wrote:
>
> > I care. Linux rocks BIG time. <ggg>
> >
> > VLC is great . . . when it's working.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Ben
>
> The file plays in VLC 1.1.0 in WinXP 32 bit just not in v1.0.6 on my
> Linux 64 bit box. The progress bar moves but there's no sound.
>
> Ben N. Moore

If I remember correctly, I had it playing a DVD in Windows but not in
the Liux version.

It's a pisser that their site doesn't support all their files properly.
I think VLC phones home too much for essential files.

Now I'm starting to feel like doing the geek hack dance in Linux to
make VLC give me my propers. :-P

--
Cheers,
Ben