From: Benjamin Goldman on
Sue Morton wrote:

> I have several linux boxes running VLC and no 'phone home' on those
> either. All my boxes, whether internet connected or just LAN'd, are
> watched for traffic. I test a fair bit of networking software and
> hardware switches and I have to know what's going on in my network :-)
>
> But -- I do cheat and take a precompiled binary for VLC on linux just
> like I do on windows. So no... I have not compiled VLC -- ever, for
> any OS.

It doesn't phone home on a running basis. It looks for a file during
compilation. The files is back home. VLC runs just great on my
Windows partitions.

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Sue Morton on
During compilation I can understand that. Not all codecs etc. are
distributed with the source.

I wouldn't term that 'phoning home' -- that just means the app has
dependencies on the works of others.

For example, I routinely compile MPlayer and MEncoder from SVN, those
apps both rely heavily on 3rd party codecs and other bits of 3rd party
software such as font cache builder. Those items must be downloaded
independently from the authors' sites as they don't belong to
MPlayer/MEncoder.
--
Sue Morton

From: Benjamin Goldman on
Sue Morton wrote:

> During compilation I can understand that. Not all codecs etc. are
> distributed with the source.
>
> I wouldn't term that 'phoning home' -- that just means the app has
> dependencies on the works of others.
>
> For example, I routinely compile MPlayer and MEncoder from SVN, those
> apps both rely heavily on 3rd party codecs and other bits of 3rd
> party software such as font cache builder. Those items must be
> downloaded independently from the authors' sites as they don't belong
> to MPlayer/MEncoder.

That's it.

--
Cheers,