From: Benjamin Goldman on
Rick Paul wrote:

> I just tried the Windows Media Player in Win 7 Professional x64, and
> it gets an error opening my 64-bit mix files, and I know my Sound
> Forge 8 doesn't open my mix files, either. Note, though, that I mix
> to 88.2 kHz files so I can master at higher bandwidth, so it's
> possible the limitation is the sample rate rather than the 64-bit
> floating point format, or even that the issue with WMP is because my
> default sound card for that may not support 88.1 kHz (that definitely
> isn't the issue for Sound Forge, though, as I use Sound Forge with
> the same audio card I use for SONAR). For awhile I was using 96 kHz
> for mastering, but then my sound card drivers started supporting 88.2
> kHz, so I figured that would probably be a better rate to use given
> the even multiplying and dividing from/to 44.1 kHz. (I'd done some
> tests at one point and noted that, even though my project was done at
> 44.1 kHz, upsampling for mastering did make a subtle, and pleasant,
> difference in the sound of the masters.)
>
> Rick

You me resampling, right?

Man o man, if only the consortium would adopt a new standard of 88.2 .
.. . I'd be happier 'an a pig in mud. The disc size would have to be
larger; either thickness (both sides - turn it over???) or in radius
(more like the trusty old 45's).

A larger CD would make for *great* little 45 sized albums. And the
bottom end would finally regain it's respectable status. Woohoo!
(Screw nyquist theorEm naysayers.)

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Glennbo wrote:

> The killer robot "Rick Paul" <rickpaul(a)earthlink.net> grabbed the
> controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these
> buttons...
>
> > I just tried the Windows Media Player in Win 7 Professional x64, and
> > it gets an error opening my 64-bit mix files
>
> Have you tried exporting at 128 bit, and then seeing what apps can
> open that? I would suspect that with the native 128 bit recording
> getting ready to come out in Sonar 9 (which will completely obsolete
> 64 bit), that the other audio app makers are probably all gearing up
> for the change. <g>

For MP3's only is my guess. :-(

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Sue Morton on
VLC doesn't 'phone home' on any of my systems... never has, and has
played just about everything I've thrown at it (but that is not an
exhastive list). Check your settings?
--
Sue Morton

From: Benjamin Goldman on
Sue Morton wrote:

> VLC doesn't 'phone home' on any of my systems... never has, and has
> played just about everything I've thrown at it (but that is not an
> exhastive list). Check your settings?

You've compiled it in Linux?

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Glennbo wrote:

> The killer robot "Sue Morton" <867-5309(a)domain.invalid> grabbed the
> controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> > VLC doesn't 'phone home' on any of my systems... never has, and has
> > played just about everything I've thrown at it
>
> That's been my experience as well. Zone Alarm lets me know when apps
> try to phone home, and I never see VLC requesting internet access.

I haven't in Windows either. Try compiling it in Linux and read the
support their product at the website better.

--
Cheers,
Ben