From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Same problem as in the system is running Vista and is being prompted to
install KB936181 repeatedly or that it's just downloading repeatedly ?

If YES, then please see the ' Known issues with this update ' section
here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941833/

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: parkman1947 on
I am running Win XP SP and I have the same issue. The link you provide is
for Vista. Do I follow the same instructions?

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Follow the 'Known issues with this security update' instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: Norman Epstein on
Mow...thanks for quick response. I have downloaded the 941833 fix and will
wait to try it until I hear from you after this response.

1. I upgraded to Vista last spring when it first came out. I don't have
any idea if the update was offered earlier...but I don't think so.

2. It does not show in Installed updates, although listed many times in
Windows updates as successful.

3. Printer software has been installed since upgrade. HP OfficeJet J5750.

Norman Epstein

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
I'll bet # 3 is the reason why the update was offered. Printing software
will sometimes install one of the XML Parsers.
Let's see what I can find on the HP site ... Ouch -

HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver 237.09MB
HP Basic Feature software/driver 70.83MB

Heck, even the .pdf of the User guide is 8 MB.
Anyway, I strongly suspect that when the printer software was installed
than MSXML 4 was installed along with it. Windows Update detected it and
now can't update it.
Try the method in the KB article under the ' More Information ' heading.
The other section will not apply since it's just plain wrong. There is
no Add/Remove Programs in Vista, is there ? <geesh>

> MORE INFORMATION

> � If the Msxml4.dll file is locked, the file may not be updated when you apply update
> 941833. To work around this issue, type the following commands to uninstall the Msxml4.dll file.
> Press ENTER after you type each command.
> MsiExec.exe /uninstall {37477865-A3F1-4772-AD43-AAFC6BCFF99F} /passive
> Del %windir%\system32\msxml4.dll

Perhaps the file can be 'unlocked' by stopping all the HP software's
Services, Norman. I reckon that could be accomplished from the Services
console but I'm not sure which ones to advise you to stop.
It may be best to boot to Safe Mode to delete the MSXML4.dll as the HP
services should not be running in SM.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten