From: XR8 Sprintless on
On 21/02/2010 10:17 AM, John Tserkezis wrote:
> On 21/02/2010 9:56 AM, XR8 Sprintless wrote:
>
>> I ended up having the machine on the bench for 7 days and it finally
>> failed in the same manner as at the customers house. Would not turn on
>> at all. Disconnected all peripherals and still would not turn on.
>> Replaced the motherboard and all happy again.
>
> I had one motherboard that would power up, but not boot (no bios
> messages, cursor or anything) unless I unplugged the keyboard AND the
> 10base2 coax ethernet, powered up, then plugged them in again.
>
> This was very repeatable and very consistent.
> Worked fine other than that.
>
> I suspected a grounding issue, but the motherboard was indeed grounded,
> and I didn't measure any significant difference between its ground, and
> the rest of the system anyway.
>
> I solved the problem by never turning it off.
>
> The disturbing thing was that I put up with that for more than three years.

In this case I tried it with nothing but the motherboard and video card
connected. The machine would not power on at all though it was showing
power getting to the board. In this case a little research on the net
indicates that some of this model motherboard have an issue with exactly
this and Intel are replacing them as they occur. The new model which I
put in whilst the same model number has a different layout to the sata
connectors for a start.

In any case the situation has been resolved by replacing the board. It
is definitely an issue with the motherboard albeit a hard one to track
down as it occurs infrequently.

The reason it probably doesn't occur at my house is that I run a ups and
also an isolation transformer which negates the earth theory. It's
definitely a fault in the board.

From: Clocky on

"XR8 Sprintless" <xr8_sprint(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 21/02/2010 10:17 AM, John Tserkezis wrote:
>> On 21/02/2010 9:56 AM, XR8 Sprintless wrote:
>>
>>> I ended up having the machine on the bench for 7 days and it finally
>>> failed in the same manner as at the customers house. Would not turn on
>>> at all. Disconnected all peripherals and still would not turn on.
>>> Replaced the motherboard and all happy again.
>>
>> I had one motherboard that would power up, but not boot (no bios
>> messages, cursor or anything) unless I unplugged the keyboard AND the
>> 10base2 coax ethernet, powered up, then plugged them in again.
>>
>> This was very repeatable and very consistent.
>> Worked fine other than that.
>>
>> I suspected a grounding issue, but the motherboard was indeed grounded,
>> and I didn't measure any significant difference between its ground, and
>> the rest of the system anyway.
>>
>> I solved the problem by never turning it off.
>>
>> The disturbing thing was that I put up with that for more than three
>> years.
>
> In this case I tried it with nothing but the motherboard and video card
> connected. The machine would not power on at all though it was showing
> power getting to the board. In this case a little research on the net
> indicates that some of this model motherboard have an issue with exactly
> this and Intel are replacing them as they occur. The new model which I put
> in whilst the same model number has a different layout to the sata
> connectors for a start.
>
> In any case the situation has been resolved by replacing the board. It is
> definitely an issue with the motherboard albeit a hard one to track down
> as it occurs infrequently.
>
> The reason it probably doesn't occur at my house is that I run a ups and
> also an isolation transformer which negates the earth theory. It's
> definitely a fault in the board.

It can't be, because Rod and his dodgey multimeter skills and hacked up
power cable is never wrong ;-)

From: Rod Speed on
XR8 Sprintless wrote:
> On 21/02/2010 10:17 AM, John Tserkezis wrote:
>> On 21/02/2010 9:56 AM, XR8 Sprintless wrote:
>>
>>> I ended up having the machine on the bench for 7 days and it finally
>>> failed in the same manner as at the customers house. Would not turn
>>> on at all. Disconnected all peripherals and still would not turn on.
>>> Replaced the motherboard and all happy again.
>>
>> I had one motherboard that would power up, but not boot (no bios
>> messages, cursor or anything) unless I unplugged the keyboard AND the
>> 10base2 coax ethernet, powered up, then plugged them in again.
>>
>> This was very repeatable and very consistent.
>> Worked fine other than that.
>>
>> I suspected a grounding issue, but the motherboard was indeed
>> grounded, and I didn't measure any significant difference between
>> its ground, and the rest of the system anyway.
>>
>> I solved the problem by never turning it off.
>>
>> The disturbing thing was that I put up with that for more than three years.

> In this case I tried it with nothing but the motherboard and video card connected.

You have to try it with the motherboard loose on the desktop.

> The machine would not power on at all though it was showing power getting to the board.

Thats just the standby power, not the main power supply with its output short detection.

> In this case a little research on the net indicates that some of this model motherboard have an issue with exactly
> this and Intel are replacing them as they occur.

Or it may be that they are particularly prone to a short to case.

Running the motherboard loose on the desktop will prove which it is.

> The new model which I put in whilst the same model number has a different layout to the sata connectors for a start.

And that may well be so it doesnt see intermittent shorts to case.

> In any case the situation has been resolved by replacing the board. It is definitely an issue with the motherboard
> albeit a hard one to track down as it occurs infrequently.

Yes, but may be an easily resolved short to case.

> The reason it probably doesn't occur at my house is that I run a ups
> and also an isolation transformer which negates the earth theory.

Doesnt explain why it did show up eventually. And you should have eliminated that possibility anyway.

> It's definitely a fault in the board.

You havent proven that yet.

From: Anonymous on

"Clocky" <notgonn(a)happen.com> wrote in message

> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> XR8 Sprintless wrote:
>>> I ended up having the machine on the bench for 7 days and it finally
>>> failed in the same manner as at the customers house. Would not turn on
>>> at all. Disconnected all peripherals and still would not turn on.
>>> Replaced the motherboard and all happy again.
>>
>> Most likely it was just an intermittent earth fault in the system and the
>> movement between the house and your place disturbed that short to case.
>>
>> Bet it would have worked fine with the motherboard loose on the desktop.
>>
>> And my test of an extension cord with no earth connected would have shown
>> that
>> the problem was with the system, not external to the system, specific to
>> the house.
>>

> It's not your test, stupid.

Very dangerous as well..
Any kids that were reading