From: XR8 Sprintless on
I ended up having the machine on the bench for 7 days and it finally
failed in the same manner as at the customers house. Would not turn on
at all. Disconnected all peripherals and still would not turn on.
Replaced the motherboard and all happy again.
From: Rod Speed on
XR8 Sprintless wrote:
> I ended up having the machine on the bench for 7 days and it finally
> failed in the same manner as at the customers house. Would not turn on
> at all. Disconnected all peripherals and still would not turn on.
> Replaced the motherboard and all happy again.

Most likely it was just an intermittent earth fault in the system and the
movement between the house and your place disturbed that short to case.

Bet it would have worked fine with the motherboard loose on the desktop.

And my test of an extension cord with no earth connected would have shown that
the problem was with the system, not external to the system, specific to the house.

From: John Tserkezis on
On 21/02/2010 9:56 AM, XR8 Sprintless wrote:

> I ended up having the machine on the bench for 7 days and it finally
> failed in the same manner as at the customers house. Would not turn on
> at all. Disconnected all peripherals and still would not turn on.
> Replaced the motherboard and all happy again.

I had one motherboard that would power up, but not boot (no bios
messages, cursor or anything) unless I unplugged the keyboard AND the
10base2 coax ethernet, powered up, then plugged them in again.

This was very repeatable and very consistent.
Worked fine other than that.

I suspected a grounding issue, but the motherboard was indeed grounded,
and I didn't measure any significant difference between its ground, and
the rest of the system anyway.

I solved the problem by never turning it off.

The disturbing thing was that I put up with that for more than three years.
From: Terryc on
XR8 Sprintless wrote:
> I ended up having the machine on the bench for 7 days and it finally
> failed in the same manner as at the customers house. Would not turn on
> at all. Disconnected all peripherals and still would not turn on.
> Replaced the motherboard and all happy again.

are there any cocketed chips still on mobos?
If so, try removing and reinserting. Works some times.
From: Clocky on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> XR8 Sprintless wrote:
>> I ended up having the machine on the bench for 7 days and it finally
>> failed in the same manner as at the customers house. Would not turn on
>> at all. Disconnected all peripherals and still would not turn on.
>> Replaced the motherboard and all happy again.
>
> Most likely it was just an intermittent earth fault in the system and the
> movement between the house and your place disturbed that short to case.
>
> Bet it would have worked fine with the motherboard loose on the desktop.
>
> And my test of an extension cord with no earth connected would have shown
> that
> the problem was with the system, not external to the system, specific to
> the house.

It's not your test, stupid.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2