From: Rod Speed on
Evan wrote:

> You need to map the drives to different letters eg. WD -->M: and SeaG -->N:

Nope, I dont do that and it works fine without that.

From: Marts on
Rod Speed wrote...

> > It seems that for some reason Windows (XP SP2) cannot
> > have two USB based storage devices running at the same time.
>
> Works fine here.

As it does on a mate's PC who I'm trying to copy these files for (it's his port.
HDD that I'm using).

> You sure you didnt just stuff up the cabling to a front USB port ?

Dunno how. You plug one end into the port, the other into the HDD...

> What happens if you plug them both in at once to USB ports off the
> motherboard at the back of the motherboard, no hubs used at all ?

Not using any hubs. The ports at the front work fine for other peripherals and
only one HDD connected. The ones on the back are on the motherboard's backplane
or whatever it's called. Tried a different combo with no success.

From: Marts on
me here wrote...

> What happens when you have a thumb drive and one of the HD's at the
> same time?

Same thing. Only the first connected drive is recognised....

From: Marts on
Rob wrote...

> Is the WD portable tak8ng too much power?? and does it have two USB
> plugs on the cable? are both plugged in?

It isn't, or so Device Manager tells me. And it only has the one cable.

I did have one of those, though. And it did the same thing, even with the two
cables connected.

From: Rod Speed on
Marts wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> It seems that for some reason Windows (XP SP2) cannot have
>>> two USB based storage devices running at the same time.

>> Works fine here.

> As it does on a mate's PC who I'm trying to copy these files for
> (it's his port. HDD that I'm using).

So it cant be XP SP2.

>> You sure you didnt just stuff up the cabling to a front USB port ?

> Dunno how. You plug one end into the port, the other into the HDD...

No, I meant the cable inside the PC case, between
the motherboard and the front physical port.

>> What happens if you plug them both in at once to USB ports off the
>> motherboard at the back of the motherboard, no hubs used at all ?

> Not using any hubs. The ports at the front work fine
> for other peripherals and only one HDD connected.

Yes, but you can get the effect you are seeing with some bad internal cables.

> The ones on the back are on the motherboard's backplane or whatever it's called.

> Tried a different combo with no success.

Did you try with both drives on USB ports on the back that are soldered into the motherboard ?

That eliminates any cable.